It is not that you will find gas struts on cars only. You can use these in just about anything as it has several different applications. You will find it installed in boat openings, agricultural machinery doors, beds that come with under storage, and even in the caravan storage compartments.
- These gas struts are considered to be very useful inventions. It provides easy lifting power for smooth opening and closing.
- Apart from the gliding feature, these gas struts also ensure that the weight of the opening is well supported by the structural architecture of the item.
Such a wide range of its use and applications makes it the most important part of any modern machine! Therefore, if you have any such item that has a gas strut fitted in it, you can easily replace and install it if needed.
You can take help from a lot of How-to videos that are available on the internet for that matter or read this article till the end to know the basics of gas struts and how to install these. This will save you a lot of cost, hassle, and most importantly the wait time for a mechanic to arrive and attend.
About the Basics
Depending on the size of the machine, different sizes and types of gas struts may be used wherein you need to control the speed of opening and closing of the doors.
Typically, it consists of three basic parts:
- The rod: This regulates the force that is applied on the spring. This rod is usually attached to a piston. This helps the rod to control the piston of the gas strut when the energy is applied.
- The piston: This is an important part of the gas strut and acts much similarly as the plunger works on a syringe. The piston typically pushes the gas contained in the gas struts, thereby compressing it in the process. The compressed gas flows on all sides of it as the piston has holes in it.
- The housing tube: This tube contains the piston which is filled with the compressed gas which is particularly nitrogen. In order to prevent loss of any gas and lowering the efficacy of the piston, this tube is usually sealed completely.
The working process of these struts is pretty simple. When it is pushed down, the pressure is applied on the rod which further pushes the piston forward. The compressed gas controls the rate of opening and closing.
Tips to Install
If you know how to install any one type of gas strut, you will be able to install all other types of gas struts, because practically all have the same mechanism and working process.
After you find the right type of gas strut, which is not a difficult task as you have to only match the part number on the cylinder, you will simply have to follow a do’s and don’ts list to install it. Just make sure that you install it rod down so that you get optimum lubrication reducing its rate of wear and tear.
The do’s list:
- Use ball joint fixings to prevent load forces on the sides
- Align the end fixings
- Tighten the fixings properly onto the strut
- Provide physical stops to its limits
- Avoid side load forces on it or the end fittings externally and
- Keep the piston rod clean
Do not lubricate it, as it contains oil for self-lubrication and does not incinerate or puncture it. Also, make sure that you do not grip, chip, scratch, paint, bend, over-compress or over-extend the gas struts or refill it with gas.
There you are! It’s done!