Tips to prepare for ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND COMPREHENSION SECTION SSC CGL 2019-20 TIER I EXAM
Every year Staff Selection Commission conducts SSC CGL Exam to offer jobs to the graduates of our country. It comprises of four phases i.e. Tier I, Tier II, Tier III and Tier IV. SSC CGL TIER I EXAM is very crucial as it is the first stage and the most competitive one. Once you qualify this then the road is easy to reach your targeted DREAM JOB!!
Candidates who are preparing for SSC CGL TIER I should follow certain tips to score high to get the department of their choice in government sector. SSC CGL TIER I 2019-20 notification is expected anytime as the administrative and other hurdles have been lifted by the recent developments and updates. Before we start the exam preparation let us know the latest exam pattern SSC will follow for the SSC CGL EXAM TIER I.
EXAM PATTERN OF SSC CGL TIER I 2019-20
|Name of the Section||No. of Questions||Section wise Marks||Allotted Time|
|Quantitative Aptitude||25||50||60 minutes (Total)|
|English Language and Comprehension||25||50|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||25||50|
According to the survey conducted it is observed that most of the candidates find ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND COMPREHENSION SECTION difficult. It should not be taken as a surprise because being an INDIAN it is normal for ENGLISH is not our mother tongue.
Before we start improving upon our English language for the SSC CGL EXAM 2019-20, let us have a look at the topics covered in the syllabus of ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND COMPREHENSION SECTION.
- Reading Comprehension with 20 percent weight age
- Vocabulary with 48 percent weight age
- Grammar with 32 per cent weight age
From the given data, it becomes clear that Vocabulary Usage (48%) and Grammar Usage (32%) categories has a major role to play while Reading Comprehension (20%) forms a minor role in English Language and Comprehension Section in SSC CGL Tier-I Exam.
Generally speaking, the questions are directly asked in this section and are reasonably simpler. Thus, the students can score brilliantly in this section.
Important Tips to crack English Language and Comprehension Section
We will now discuss important tricks to crack English Language and Comprehension section in detail. These tips will prove to be guiding light for you to ace this section.
- Develop your Vocabulary skills: The vocabulary usage is of great importance and so it should be taken very seriously. We will look into some ways through which you can improve your vocabulary.
- Thesaurus: It is considered to be easiest way to study and memorize words. You can found a lot of online thesauruses which are available in which a word and its opposite words are found in one place.
- Word List: The students should develop of adding and learning at least 20 to 25 words every day. It is important to maintain a notebook for it. It is important to study these words regularly and try to learn at least 2000 words before the examination day.
- Online Flashcards: The Android mobile phones can be of great help as students can download free flash cards. It will help you in learning and remembering new words.
- Work hard on English Grammar: The comprehensive and proper understanding of Grammar rules is very essential. In every written competitive exam, it plays a significant role and will help students in solving questions from topics like Reading Comprehension, Spot the Error, Sentence Rearrangement, Cloze test etc. The students should understand the concepts of every topic as it will be instrumental in solving questions. For attaining perfection, the students are supposed to practice problems and try to learn from their mistakes. The proper usage of grammar rules will help in solving questions in most appropriate
- Work hard on Reading Comprehension Skills: The students should understand that Reading Comprehension Skills cannot be developed overnight but requires hard work and practice of weeks and years. So, it is highly advisable that students should develop habit of reading superior quality of English literature in the form of daily newspapers, books, novels etc. The reading of daily newspapers is referred to be most useful as it provides a variety of subjects and topics to be read on daily basis. After reading any important article, the students should try to re-write his version and try to figure out typical words. These typical words should be learnt and understand with its Synonyms and Antonyms. It will add to his word-power and will make his vocabulary skills strong.
In this article, we have given you a proper understanding of important tips that are required to ace English Language and Comprehension section of SSC CGL Tier-I exam.
All the Best!!!