AGM batteries were first introduced in the 80s by a well-known company named Concorde Aircraft Battery to replace the NI-Cad batteries that were being used in fighter jets and helicopter at that time, and at the same time, it gives benefits such as the warm weather vibration resistance.
AGM stands for “absorption glass mat” that gives us some indication as to how they work. Most importantly the AGM batteries in Sydney were created using the glass mats that have thin fibres of glass into them which help to increase the surface area. This also allows the AGM battery to work in the same way that a flooded lead-acid battery does, excluding the electrolytes that are stored in glass mats. That more surface area will give more power.
Safe to use batteries
The glass fibres of these batteries absorb the electrolytes that cannot be affected by acid. As they hold the electrolytes, they prevent it from spilling out when the battery is tripped over. This then also means that batteries are safe to use in some situation where the acid from a battery can spill out and damage the electrical parts and sometimes even cause damage to the environment. This makes them a very secure option for military use, but also good and safe to the environment. The business using the AGM batteries in design make sure that the money won’t be wasted on equipment and damaged parts.
Best featured battery
There are many other advantages of AGM batteries. For example, they are very flexible and will come in any kind of size and shape that they can easily fit with a variety of applications. And at the same time, they also have a very low amount of maintenance. Unlike some other batteries they don’t have any need for watering and this thing make them useful for some situation where it would be difficult to give hold on the water or to maintain them on the go. This battery also gives off a low amount of by-products that means no gas is produced and with no ventilation. They can hold out very low temperatures and won’t freeze or crack at the time and due to its sandwich construction as they are also resistant.
They also don’t get very hot as compared to some other forms of battery that make sure that they won’t melt or damage the crucial component. This means that they are best suited to be used in a number of mechanisms and machines that would give a lot of stress that may cause damage to the device in other situations.
AGM batteries in Sydney are environment friendly. The importance of being environmental-friendly is the high value at this time, partly due to the destructive occurrences that have a connection with the human abuse the environment. Almost most of the things can be recycled in some way that also includes the batteries. It is also called battery reconditioning and not the recycling of battery.
Facts about AGM batteries
- AGM batteries are like the flooded lead-acid batteries with the exception that they also hold the electrolyte inside a glass mat rather than flooding over the plates. It means that you won’t lose any electrolyte and the battery gets turned over or held upside down.
- This battery stands for the absorption of glass mat and this mat then actually has thin glass fibres woven throughout it. These fibres also increase the surface area which is not affected by the acidic electrolyte.
- The plates of AGM battery can be shaped into flat or wound.
- These batteries are built in a rectangular case that also meets the BCI battery code specification.
- This battery is maintenance-free and does not water for the life of the battery.
- The electrolyte present in an AGM can’t be a leak or corrode so it keeps the environment safe and will not result in the acid burn to anyone working with AGM.
- These batteries are suitable to multiple uses that start from engines to marine batteries, leisure batteries and deep cycle batteries.
- The cell of AGM batteries can last for 10 years.
- The battery can withstand the cold temperature without cracking and freezing.
- AGM battery can withstand the vibration that most of the batteries cannot and this is just because of its sandwich construction.
- The cell of AGM can discharge 50% before needing to recharge and this is somewhat less than the flooded lead-acid batteries that discharge 80%.
- Overcharging to AGM battery can permanently damage it.
- Such batteries are mostly used in the solar electric field.