What is a general physician?
What medical conditions can GPs treat?
GPs treat all medical conditions, including conditions that affect the cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal, neurological, haematological or endocrine systems. Examples of conditions your GP can treat:
- Cardiovascular system
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Ischaemic heart disease (angina, heart attack)
- Respiratory system
- Emphysema or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Lung fibrosis
- Gastrointestinal system
- Liver disease including alcoholic lever disease
- Neurological system
- Cerebrovascular accident (strokes)
- Epilepsy (seizures)
- Thyroid disease
- Pituitary disease