Every technology that we use today is data-driven. The amount of data generated by various devices all over the world is more than 2.5 quintillion bytes per-day! Now, to analyze such a huge amount of data, we need skilled individuals and they are Tableau Developers. In this blog, we would be looking into ‘What does a Tableau Developer do?’ and Tableau Developer roles and responsibilities in detail. To become a Tableau Developer one should have a Tableau Course Certification in Hyderabad which him/her in increasing the chances of getting employed.
Introduction to Tableau
Every day, we see encounter data in the amounts of zettabytes and yottabytes! This enormous amount of data cannot be dumped. Organizations use this data to extract meaningful insights and hidden patterns to optimize their business processes. For the extraction of meaningful insights from data and finding hidden patterns, we need to perform data analysis and visualizations.
So, in this blog on ‘Tableau Developer Roles and Responsibilities,’ we will look into Tableau in detail and the roles and responsibilities of a Tableau Developer.
What is Tableau?
Tableau is a tool that is widely used for data visualization. It assists in converting unstructured data into a format that can be easily understood. Visualization is fast and efficient with the help of Tableau as it gives visualizations in the form of dashboards and worksheets.
One of the outstanding features of Tableau is data blending. This process involves collecting varieties of data from different sources and, then, storing this data into a single data warehouse.
Other features of Tableau are real-time analysis and the cooperation of data, and working with this BI tool requires no technical expertise or any prior programming knowledge.
In this blog on ‘Tableau Developer Roles and Responsibilities,’ we will first discuss the types of Tableau tools and Tableau products and, then, we will see the roles and responsibilities of a Tableau Developer for handling these products.
Types of Tableau Tools
Before going into Tableau products, we will look into the two types of Tableau tools.
- As the name ‘Developer’ suggests, it is used for development purposes.
- It consists of tools for visualization, making dashboards and charts, and providing Business Intelligence reports to the organization.
- Tableau Products: Tableau Desktop and Tableau Public.
- It is used for sharing the created visualization, dashboards, charts, and reports.
- Tableau Products: Tableau Online, Tableau Server, and Tableau Reader
Enroll yourself in Tableau certification training and give a head-start to your career in Tableau!
As we have seen the types of Tableau tools, now, in this blog on ‘Tableau Developer Roles and Responsibilities,’ we will see the five products offered by Tableau:
- Tableau Desktop
- It is a data visualization tool that helps in acquiring insights from data.
- In Tableau Desktop, we create Business Intelligence reports and visualization charts and combine them to create dashboards.
- It provides data connectivity to data warehouses for the live examination of data.
Tableau Desktop is classified into two types:
- Tableau Desktop Personal: The work created cannot be published online. Also, it has a private workspace and has restricted access to workbooks.
- Tableau Desktop Professional: In Tableau Desktop Professional, the work can be published online or in Tableau Server. It provides accessibility to the entire data.
- Tableau Public
- As the name suggests, in Tableau Public, the work created is accessible to everyone. It is stored in public clouds in Tableau.
- In Tableau Public, the files stored are available to everyone, so there is no isolation for the work saved.
- Tableau Public is best for sharing data with the general audience for learning purposes.
- Tableau Server
- Worksheets and visualizations are created in Tableau Desktop application. Now, to share these worksheets and visualizations within an organization, we use Tableau Server.
- The work would be available only to the authorized users after uploading it to the servers.
- The authorized users can log in to the servers with their login credentials and scrutinize the published content through a web browser.
- Tableau Online
- It is basically an online sharing tool, and in it, the data is stored in cloud servers.
- It needs worksheets that are to be created in Tableau Desktop.
- There is no restriction on the storage limit for the data published online.
- Tableau Reader
- It is basically a free tool for viewing the worksheets and visualizations that are being generated using Tableau Desktop.
- When we share worksheets or dashboards, the receiver must have Tableau Reader for viewing them.
Now, as we have seen all the types of Tableau products and their functionalities, we will move on to the Tableau Developer roles and responsibilities.
Tableau Developer Roles and Responsibilities
Here are the major roles and responsibilities of a Tableau Developer:
- Creating visualizations for the data extracted with the help of Tableau
- Identifying patterns and meaningful insights from data by analyzing it
- Designing dashboards
- Managing Tableau Server
- Managing big data
- Twisting SQL queries for improving performances
- Examining glitches in business processes and resolving them
- Finding the key areas of automation to make the business processes smooth
- Developing reference documents or reports for the finalized project
These are the basic roles and responsibilities of a Tableau Developer. There are some more skills that make a perfect Tableau Developer.
Skills Required for Becoming a Tableau Developer
Tableau Developer roles and responsibilities demand certain skills and they are listed below:
- Excellent analytical skills to analyze business needs
- Problem-solving skills to resolve the issues that appear during development
- Good written and communication skills
- Excellent team-building skills
- Good knowledge of handling databases and proficiency in SQL
- Expertise in handling all Tableau products (Desktop, Public, Server, Online, and Reader)
Tableau Developer Salary and Demand
According to Indeed, the average salary of a Tableau Developer in India is ₹700k per annum and, in the United States, it is US$117k. Also, the number of job openings in 2019 for Tableau Developers were more than 10,000 in India. So, it is clear that there is a huge scope for Tableau Developers.
However, the salary structure may differ due to factors like experience, location, and the roles and responsibilities of a Tableau Developer.
Know more from our blog on Tableau Developer.