The first thing to make sure when you want to show your house to prospective buyers is to prepare it in the right way. This will ensure that your house stands out from other houses for sale. There are ideally a few easy improvements that you should make in your house.
This will ensure that your house does not sit on the listing for long, given the fact that there is a huge inventory of homes today on the market enabling the buyers to be choosy. Buyers typically look for the best homes for sale so that they get the highest return to their investment.
- Improve the landscaping before putting it up on sale. This will create a better and much stronger curb appeal. It is crucial to make the best first impression.
- Clean the gutters when you clean the sloppy exterior and also pressure wash the siding of your home.
- Make the necessary repairs to present your house in the best condition with no major defects such as a leaky roof, a broken door or windows that may discourage the prospective buyers.
You can make the front more inviting with a fresh coat of paint, a common trend followed by all sellers while putting their houses for sale. You may also consider:
- Using new welcome mat.
- Removing clutter from the inside.
- Organizing the closets and drawers.
- Making every surface shine.
Most importantly, make sure that there are no bad doors especially in the bathrooms. Hide the litter box and spray air neutralizer, or put fresh flowers to make the interior more inviting.
Repairs to consider
Ideally, in the market most houses for sale are presented in a lived-in condition. However, buyers do not complain about it but it needs to be in perfect living condition. Therefore, focusing on the repairs, minor or major, is very important. Remember, a proper repair can make a sale pretty fast and influence the decision of the buyer. Here are some common repairs to make.
- In most of the times, the floors will develop a crack very easily after long-time use, much like the counter tiles. Make sure that these are repaired or replaced before showing your house.
- There may also be holes in the walls that may be an eyesore. Patch these holes but make sure that the colour use does not make it look uglier.
- Fix the leaking faucets, if any, in your home as well as replace the locks on the doors and windows that may not be functioning properly.
- Check the drawers in the kitchen, the closet and the vanity in your bathroom is in good working condition. Repair them if they do not.
If you are planning to put on a fresh coat of paint on the walls, it is better that you choose a neutral colour. You never know whether your choice will match with the buyer’s or not. These small repairs and changes on houses for sale will ensure that buyers have a positive experience.
Few other useful tips
Apart from the above houses for sale presentation tips, there are a few other points that you should keep in mind as well. This will ensure that your house is more presentable.
- Clean the fireplace mantle, fan blades, faucets, appliances and windows. You can hire a reliable cleaning service for that.
- Remove the stack of shoes, mails from the dining table and other items that may detract the attention of the buyers from the gorgeous features of your home.
Make sure that you keep the décor simple so that it does not turn off the buyer or brush them on the wrong side. You must give your house a purpose. This will keep the flow going.