Outside Running vs Treadmill: What’s Better and Why?
Running is a great form of exercise. It can be done with or without any pieces of equipment. Running activates the muscles of the whole body and therefore is the perfect exercise. But not everyone lives in a neighborhood where he can walk safely and without injuries. For the solution, one can buy electric treadmill to run safely any time he wants.
The trend of buying treadmills has increased exponentially in the last few years dues to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. People are more serious about their heaths now and are willing to put effort into that. Everything is fine if it is related to fitness and health benefits, and no one can deny its importance of it.
The question is, what is more effective, running outside or on a treadmill? Although both include the same actions, running outside is very different from running on a treadmill. That’s a difference not everyone can understand, but those who know, know.
Outside Running vs Treadmill: Differences
It is clear that those who run are very healthy and fit, compared to those who don’t run at all. There’s another classification as well, those who run on treadmills and those who run outside. We can understand, that those who run outside are definitely more solid runners than those who run on treadmills. Although there are exceptions as well, running outside, in general, is healthier than running on treadmills.
Let’s discuss some differences a runner faces while walking inside on a treadmill and walking on the ground.
The surface of the treadmill is smooth and even. One does not face any difficulties being there. It could be boring, but really safe.
Running outside is different, you get to see clouds, people, trees, birds, and many other runners. One can run outside for a longer period of time. It is more fun, but completely safe. The surface of the road is uneven, with trash around, and cannot be attended to in rough weather.
- Air Resistance
One does not face any resistance while running on the treadmill and also does not feel fresh air on the face. The biggest advantage of running outside is that it provides fresh oxygen to the lungs. Direct oxygen on the face can be tiring as well, but it is 100% safe and very beneficial.
Pros & Cons of Running on a Treadmill
Everything in the universe has its pros and cons, and the treadmill is no different. Let’s discuss some Pros and Cons of running on a treadmill.
Pros of Running on a Treadmill
Given below are some popular perks of running on a treadmill. These Pros are what make people buy a treadmill for their home:
- You can run on a treadmill at any time of the day, and you also don’t have to worry about outside weather.
- You can do intense running on a treadmill while assuring safety. Furthermore, you can adjust the speed of the treadmill and can perform a light workout as well. This is something you can’t adjust while running outside, as there are several factors that affect the outside running sessions.
- You can run on a treadmill for a longer period of time as it does not put much stress on your joints. If you do not get bored easily, running on treadmills is something you can definitely benefit from.
- As the treadmill is at home, you are safe from many exposures that could be harmful and unsafe. This includes traffic, weather, area, and many other problems.
Cons of Running on a Treadmill
Given below are some disadvantages of running on a treadmill:
- Treadmills are costly. One requires to buy one or need to take a gym membership to run on them.
- Running on treadmills does not activate the muscles of your body as efficiently as running on the ground. You lose less of your body muscles while running on the treadmill.
- Running on the treadmill and watching the same people, walls, and things around makes it boring for many people.
- Treadmills are safer than the ground, but the injuries that happen on the treadmill are statistically more harmful than ground injuries.
Pros & Cons of Running on Ground
Running on grounds is great and more beneficial for health But there are some obvious reasons why treadmills came into existence. Let’s discuss them.
Pros of Running on Ground
- You don’t have to give any tax for running outside. You can run as much as you want and as long as you want. All you need is a good pair of shoes.
- You don’t need any button to change your speed while running outside. You can stop and start running on your own terms.
- Your body muscles get activated more efficiently while running on the ground. Running on the ground brings more impact on the body.
- Running outside is fun as you get to see so many things and activities outside. It is obvious that running outside is more motivating and fun than running on treadmills.
Cons of Running on Ground
Given below are some disadvantages of running on the ground:
- You cannot run on the grounds at any time of the day. Morning and evening are fine, but that also depends on the area in which you reside. It is not safe to go for a walk at all times of the day.
- You cannot go running on the ground if the weather is not favorable. Plus, there are various other actors which you need to take care of. You can’ go out in winter running without proper dress and resources.
- Chances of getting injured outside while running are much more than running on a treadmill. You can fall, get hit, faint, and get very tired as well. This is not the case while running in-home premises.
It is hard to declare a winner of the fight between the treadmill and running outside. Both have their own pros and cons, and therefore they both exist. First, it is important to decide to start running on a regular basis and then the right way. There’s nothing wrong with running on the treadmill if that suits best to your schedule. In the same way, it is better to run o grounds if you can manage to do so.