Intuit’s QuickBooks accounting software is a popular accounting program because of its helpful features and functionalities. Unfortunately, it’s common to run into this issue while attempting to update QuickBooks. This suggests the update program is broken.
The information in this blog can be beneficial if you’re trying to fix the QuickBooks error 15106. However, getting rid of this error can be frustrating and time-consuming, so if you need assistance, call customer support.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 15106
After understanding the error’s nature, the next step is to investigate its root causes. Finding and correcting a bug often requires getting to the bottom of what caused it. Learning the specifics of QuickBooks error 15106 is a necessary first step before attempting a resolution. As a result of error 15106, the payroll update in QuickBooks cannot be completed. Let’s look into what could be triggering the QuickBooks update error 15106:
- Problems with QuickBooks Updates
- When attempting to launch the updater, you see the message “Error 15106.”
- The update program is damaged.
- Inability to update the software due to lack of Administrator access or use of incorrect credentials.
- One common cause of update failure is the presence of pre-installed anti-virus software or programs.
- Error 15106 during a QuickBooks update often stems from the User Account Control (UAC) settings being turned on.
Ways to Fix QuickBooks Error 15106
If you have an active QuickBooks desktop payroll subscription and are attempting to fix issue 15106 in payroll processing, you must first download the most recent tax table before continuing.
Method 1: Using Administrator Credentials to Access the System
- If you’re already logged in as another user, try these steps.
- Get started by clicking the QuickBooks icon.
- Repeat the right-click action.
- Click the menu item labeled “Run as administrator.”
- Once you’ve entered the Admin password, click the OK tab.
- This will grant you administrator access.
Method 2: Swap accounts and log in as the admin
- Open the menu by clicking the “Start” button.
- Next, select Switch user from the screen’s arrow in the bottom-right corner.
- Put in your Admin password now.
Method 3: Turning off UAC is the alternative solution.
If disabling UAC with the preceding approach did not work, try it from here. It’s important to remember that adjusting the UAC settings varies depending on the version of Windows you’re using.
- Use the Windows key and the letter R to bring up the Run dialogue.
- After that, select the Ok button and type in the Control panel.
- Choose the Login Options.
- A user’s security settings can be altered by selecting the gear icon and the corresponding option.
- it’s important to remember that if prompted by UAC, it’s usually best to click the “Yes” button to proceed.
- Slide it to the right.
- Select never notify and click Ok if you want to disable UAC altogether. However, to activate UAC, choose Always tell and click Ok.
- To finish, just restart the computer.
Method 4 Try renaming the Folder
- Close the QBW32.exe process
- To get started, use Ctrl + Shift + Esc to bring up the Task Manager.
- Afterward, head to the Processes pane and search for the antivirus program installed on your computer.
- The final step is to click the End procedure button.
- Keep in mind that antivirus software should be your first line of call for resolution if you’re having trouble completing the task.
Method 5: Reinstall QuickBooks from scratch using selective startup
- Get the data ready for backup.
- To begin, you must make a copy of the QuickBooks desktop or product and licensing information and generate a backup of any company files.
- Taking a screenshot before manually backing up a firm file
- Enter the system in a mode that allows for selective booting.
- Selective starting mode must be activated to guarantee that no other programs will interfere with your work.
- You can access the system configuration menu by clicking the Windows key plus R, typing MSConfig, and selecting the Ok tab.
- To access system configuration, enter MSConfig in the Run box.
- Select the General tab, select Selective starting mode and click Load the system services.
- The next step is to choose the Services tab; from there, the option to conceal all Microsoft services will become available.
- Select the box labeled “Hide all Microsoft services” and then select the “Disable all” button.
- Remember to select Windows installation from the drop-down menu of available services.
You can apply the steps mentioned above to eliminate the QuickBooks error 15106. In some cases, however, more than the solutions mentioned above may be needed to fix this technological problem. When this occurs, reaching out to QuickBooks’ payroll support team can be a lifesaver. A simple phone call to customer support 1-800-615-2347 could greatly assist in resolving this issue.