7 Facts About Adult Fluoride Treatments
wisedentalt, 1 month ago 2 min read 67
Fluoride treatments are well known for pediatric dental patients, but did you know fluoride treatment also offers many benefits for adults too?
We want everyone to learn about the benefits of fluoride for adults, so we sat down with some of our dental hygienists for the most common facts about fluoride treatments. As you’ll see, there are many benefits for adults as well as kids!
Facts About Fluoride Treatments
Fluoride is a ubiquitous mineral that can be discovered in the air, soil, and water – an omnipresent part of nature!
- Fluoride is the hero that helps protect teeth from cavities and decay in both children and adults. It works by re-mineralizing weakened tooth surfaces, thereby making them stronger against corrosive acids resulting from food consumption. Thanks to fluoride, you can enjoy your meal without worrying about damaging your dental health!
- Fluoride can be ingested or used to cover the teeth (topically).
The topic of fluoride often arises when discussing drinking water. Several cities monitor the amount of fluoride in our tap water and, if necessary, add more to it. Benefits from consuming fluoridated water are seen as soon as teeth begin forming – they will form a stronger enamel and be better protected against decay than those that don’t drink fluoridated tap water!
- Even adults can benefit from fluoride treatments! Typically, we associate fluoride treatments with children. However, they are not the only ones that can benefit. Like children, adults may also consume sugary/acidic beverages and snacks frequently and as a result, have more weakened enamel.
- Fluoride treatments at your dentist’s office are very beneficial. These treatments are a higher concentration compared to products you can buy at the store and can give your tooth structure the necessary boost of minerals to strengthen weakened spots and reduce sensitivity. Discuss your individual needs with your dental providers to determine if you would benefit from a fluoride treatment.
- There are many reasons why your dentist may recommend a fluoride treatment. If you have a high cavity risk and/or sensitivity, have a high sugar/acidic diet, lack regular dental care, are taking certain medications/dry mouth, or have active decay in the mouth, talk to your dental care team about using fluoride to help strengthen your enamel.
- Some dental insurance will cover fluoride treatments. Each insurance is different, and coverage varies. Regardless of insurance coverage, preventative services like fluoride treatments can help reduce the cost of dental services in the future and save money in the long run.
No matter how long it has been since your last dental visit, your dental care team at Wise Dental is here to help you have excellent oral health! If you think you might benefit from a fluoride treatment, schedule an appointment today.
Based in Bridgeport, Texas, Wise Dental provides comprehensive dental services like General Dentistry, Cosmetic Dentistry, and Dental Brace that will restore, improve or align your dental structure for the better.