A Step-by-Step Guide for Performing Edge Crush Testing
Edge crush strength is an important property of corrugated boxes that determines the box’s ability to resist crushing forces that may be applied to its edges. This testing ensures that the boxes can handle being stacked in warehouses and being transported on conveyor belts without collapsing or losing their shape.
Testing edge crush strength helps to ensure the safety of the items inside, as well as making sure that your packages have the best protection when shipped.
Thus, we at Presto have designed a high-quality edge crush testing instrument that is used to test the edge-wise compression strength of the materials and helps to ensure that boxes manufactured can handle forces that may be exposed to.
The Prima model of the edge crush tester has been designed to test the edge-wise compression strength of paper and its related products. It comes with a microprocessor-based high-speed controller for accurate test results.
In this blog, we are going to provide you with information about the Presto edge crush tester and how this quality lab testing equipment, has been designed to test the edge crush strength of the materials with ease. But before that, let us discuss why edge crush testing is an important part of quality control.
What is edge crush testing and why it should be conducted?
Edge Crush Test Calculator is a highly accurate and reliable testing method used by the packaging industry to measure the strength of corrugated cardboard and other materials. The use of ECT in quality control helps to identify any potential weaknesses in the product before it goes out to the market. It gives manufacturers the assurance that their products can withstand the load and pressure forces they will be subjected to during transportation, storage, and usage. By conducting regular edge crush tests, manufacturers can ensure that their products maintain consistent quality and are built to last.
Edge crush testing is a type of compression test used to measure the strength of corrugated cardboard. It is performed by applying a force to the edge of a small piece of corrugated cardboard until it collapses. The amount of force required to cause collapse is an indication of the edge crush strength of the material.
Presto ECT tester has been designed to test the edge crush strength of the materials like cardboard and other packaging materials. Now, let us discuss a brief information about Presto ECT tester digital model.
All about ECT tester digital model
Testing the edge crush test chart of materials is essential for assessing the overall quality of the product, as well as ensuring that the material is suitable for its intended use. This quality test will help to identify any potential weak points present in the materials and determine the durability of the materials before it fails.
By conducting edge crush strength tests on the materials, manufacturers can be sure that the materials they select are fit for purpose, while also assessing the structural integrity and making sure that the product will meet the customer’s expectations in terms of durability and performance.
Edge crush testing also helps to ensure that the product meets industry standards and regulations, providing an effective way to guarantee the safety and function of the item. Thus, we at Presto have designed a high-quality edge crush strength tester digital model that has been provided with a USB option available.
You can easily measure the strength of edges with the help of this quality testing equipment which enhances its quality. Now, let us discuss the features of this quality testing instrument.
Features of Presto edge crush tester
Edge crush features are an important factor when it comes to assessing the strength and quality of materials used for packaging. Thus, we at Presto have designed a high-quality lab testing instrument that has been made in accordance with the high-quality standards that we have listed below.
- Microprocessor-based display for accurate test results
- Display for compression strength of test specimen
- Separate fixtures for ring crush, edge crush, and flat crush test
- Highly accurate test results under a compression force
- Strong gripping clamps
- Bright LED display
- Inbuilt calibration facility
- Feather touch controls
- RCT/FCT/Edge Crush Tester reveals the crushing resistance in terms of Kg/Unit length
Technical specifications of Presto edge crush tester
- Capacity: 500 kg ( Different Capacity also available on request )
- Display: Latest Color TFT Touch Screen
- Accuracy: ± 2% At full load (With master load)
- Least Count/Resolution: 0.01 Kg
- Power: 220V, Single phase, 50 Hz
- Test Speed: 12.5 ± 2.5mm/min.
- Data Output: USB port available
- Motor: 1/4 HP Single Phase, 1440 rpm
- Compression Plate Size: Dia 100mm ±2mm
- Maximum sample ( Average Result ): Up to 10 test values
- Peak Hold Facility: Yes
- Safety Switch: Yes
- Material: Mild Steel
- Finish: Powder-coated Havel Gray & Blue combination finish and bright chrome/zinc plating for a corrosion-resistant finish
- The report can generate: Yes ( Sample Results and Bar Graph )
- Thermal Printer: Yes
- Computer Connectivity: Yes ( VNC software with advanced security features)
- Dimensions: 600 x 524 x 934mm
With these features and technical specifications, one can easily conduct edge crush test units of the materials. Now, let us discuss brief information about the working of an edge crush tester. You can also read about the importance of testing the edge crush strength of corrugated boxes.
Working of Presto edge crush tester
To conduct an edge crush test on the materials, you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- Start this lab testing instrument and place the fixture between the compression plates.
- To perform the edge crush test, place the edge crush test fixture with the erected edge of the specimen facing the upper compression plate.
- After placing the specimen correctly, press RESET and TARE to set the value at the peak load indicator to zero.
- After setting the zero on the load indicator, turn the rotary switch to the UP direction.
- This will move the lower compression plate in an upward direction exerting a compressive load on the specimen.
- After the lower compression plate starts compression of the specimen, there will be an increase in the value of the load indicator. After a certain increase in the load value, the value on the load display will decrease after there is a deflection in the specimen.
- After there is a decrease in value, turn the rotary switch to the off position to stop the machine.
- Once the machine stops, the display showing the load will return to zero and the deflection display will freeze. Press the Memory switch on the load indicator to show the peak value.
- Note down the values displayed on the load indicator.
In this way, you can conduct edge crush test on the materials. You can easily test the corrugated fiberboard using the Presto edge crush tester. You can also conduct a free sample testing session for the use of this quality testing equipment by giving us a call at +91-9210903903 or emailing us at [email protected]. Our team of technical experts will consult you regarding all your needs and queries.