BSc Emergency Medical Technology – Eligibility, Syllabus & Career Roles
As per the latest study, each year, 1.6 million Indians die in road accidents; an additional 2.4 million die owing to heart attacks or diseases, as stated by the Heart Care Foundation of India. This is because India majorly lacks in providing emergency medical response services.
Emergency Medicine Technology (EMT) is a quickly growing and exhilarating speciality concerned with diagnosing and managing the acute and urgent aspects of injury and illness affecting patients of all types of patients and age groups.
EMT is a medical science branch that provides health care in emergencies such as car accidents, fire accidents, etc. Universities offer numerous courses in EMT to impart students’ required knowledge and skills to tackle patients who face serious healthcare requirements.
Aspiring students, who wish to build a career in this branch, can do courses available at bachelor’s and master’s levels. BSc Emergency Medical Technology is an undergraduate degree students select after completing the 12th class.
B.Sc. Emergency Medical Technology – An Overview
The B.Sc Emergency Medical Technology course trains students to work in emergencies, function at the basic pre-hospital level, and treat different medical trauma conditions using appropriate equipment, tools and materials.
B.Sc. Emergency Medical Technology is a four-year undergraduate-level programme. The course is basically new to the medical world, but it has become the backbone of the healthcare industry in most developed countries.
B.Sc. Emergency Medical Technology Eligibility Criteria
BSc Emergency Medical Technology eligibility varies from university to university. There are around 300+ Indian universities that offer this course in their institutions. So, it is hard for students to check every university’s eligibility requirements.
Listed below are some of the steps which most universities follow for BSc Emergency Medical Technology eligibility:
- Students must complete the 12th class from any recognised board in the science stream.
- They need a minimum 45-50% mark in their previous degree.
- Some universities consider national and state-level entrance exams.
- BA in English eligibility famous entrance exams are CUET, BHU UET, etc.
- Nowadays, most universities ask candidates to sit in the university GD and PI rounds after clearing the entrance exam.
BSc Emergency Medical Technology Syllabus
Students who take this degree will equip doctors with the necessary skills and knowledge for ill patient care with serious healthcare needs. These professionals comprise overseeing, planning and medical management for emergency checkup response, medical control and disaster preparedness.
Studying the BSc Emergency Medical Technology syllabus from a top university will give you in-depth training to manage, handle and identify life-threatening, lifesaving and critical situations. Students also get training towards the initial resuscitation of a patient who enters the emergency room.
The BSc Emergency Medical Technology syllabus list differs in almost every university. The following list gives students an idea about the subjects covered in the four-year course.
- Introduction to Emergency Services
- Biostatic and Research Methodology
- Paediatric Emergencies
- Psychiatric, Geriatric, and Obstetric Emergencies
- Practical Training in Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis
- Digital Subtraction Angiography
Roles of Emergency Medical Technicians
Have a look at the listed roles that graduates have to do after completing this degree-
- Answer emergency calls
- Follow evidence-based protocol while handling patients.
- Handle and manage patients’ care with poisoning, allergic reaction or medicinal overdose.
- Manage shock, bleeding, burns, musculoskeletal injuries, and injuries to the head and spine.
- Collate and communicate health information
- Assess patients at the site
- Handle cardiovascular emergency and cerebrovascular emergency
- Manage obstetrics and gynaecology emergencies
- Handle patients with severe abdominal pain, diabetes and respiratory emergencies.
Pursuing the B.Sc Emergency Medical Technology programme will equip students to perform essential pre-hospital functions, emergency medical technicians, and treat various medical situations using the proper medical tools and supplies.
The job scope of emergency medical technology professionals will grow in the near future. So, don’t waste your time and apply for this degree at your dream university.