Bubble Waffle Bliss: Pro Tips for Making Perfect Hong Kong-style Egg Waffles
Introducing the ultimate recipe for bubble waffles, also known as Hong Kong-style egg waffles. These deliciously crispy and fluffy waffles are a staple street food in Hong Kong and are now taking the world by storm. With a crispy exterior and a soft, pillowy interior, these waffles are the perfect treat for any time of day. Follow this recipe for the perfect brunch.
Here are the ingredients you will need to prepare a bubble waffle using the recipe below.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Choice of toppings (fresh fruit, chocolate chips, whipped cream, etc.)
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Sifting the ingredients will help to aerate the flour and ensure that the waffles come out light and fluffy.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. It’s important not to over-mix the batter as this can result in dense, heavy waffles. Use a spatula or a wooden spoon to mix the ingredients together, and stop as soon as the batter comes together.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Folding the egg whites will give the waffles a light and airy texture. Be sure to fold the egg whites in gently and carefully so as not to deflate them.
- Preheat your waffle iron to medium-high heat. Once the iron is hot, ladle a generous amount of batter onto the iron, being sure to fill the wells completely. Close the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the waffles are golden brown and crispy. Cooking the waffles on medium-high heat will ensure that they cook quickly and get crispy.
- Carefully remove the waffles from the iron and transfer to a plate. Dust with powdered sugar and add your choice of toppings. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips for success:
- Use a waffle iron specifically designed for bubble waffles. A waffle iron specifically designed for bubble waffles will have deep wells that will create the signature bubbles in the waffles. It will also have a non-stick surface that will make it easy to remove the waffles once they are cooked. Make sure to use a waffle iron that has a temperature control feature, so that you can regulate the heat and cook the waffles at the right temperature.
- Use a cooking spray or brush on some oil before pouring the batter. This will help the waffles cook evenly and prevent them from sticking to the iron. You can use any neutral oil for this purpose, such as canola, vegetable or sunflower oil. Avoid using butter as it can burn easily.
- Don’t open the lid of the waffle iron until the waffles are cooked. Opening the lid will release the steam that’s needed to cook the waffles and create the bubbles. The waffles are ready to be taken out when they are golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Let the waffles cool slightly before serving. This will ensure that they are easy to remove from the waffle iron and will prevent them from falling apart. Once the waffles are out of the iron, transfer them to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Experiment with different toppings. The beauty of bubble waffles is that they can be dressed up in many ways. You can use fresh fruits, chocolate chips, whipped cream, Nutella, maple syrup, and many more. For example, you can top them with sliced strawberries and whipped cream for a sweet and creamy treat, or you can add some chocolate chips and a drizzle of chocolate sauce for a chocolaty delight.
- Measure the ingredients accurately. The recipe is a delicate balance of ingredients, and measuring them accurately will ensure that the waffles come out perfectly. Use measuring cups and spoons to measure the ingredients and make sure to level off the ingredients with a knife.
- Use high-quality ingredients. Using high-quality ingredients will make a big difference in the final product. Use fresh eggs, whole milk, and unsalted butter for best results. The vanilla extract should also be pure vanilla extract and not artificial flavoring.
- Be patient and practice. Making bubble waffles takes time and practice to perfect. Don’t get discouraged if your first few waffles don’t come out perfectly. Keep trying and experimenting with different techniques and temperatures until you get the hang of it. Keep in mind that even professional waffle makers throw away their first waffles as they are adjusting the temperature and timing.
This recipe will give you the most delicious and authentic bubble waffles that you’ve ever tasted. With its delicate balance of flavors and textures, it’s sure to please your taste buds. So, go ahead, give it a try and transport yourself to the streets of Hong Kong with every bite.