Cornea Transplants in Delhi – Restore Your Sight With Expert Care
The cornea is the clear, dome-shaped surface that covers the front of the eye. It is a vital part of focusing light onto the retina at the back of the eye, allowing us to see clearly. However, the cornea can become damaged due to injury, infection, or degenerative diseases like keratoconus. A cornea transplant, also known as a keratoplasty, can help restore sight by replacing the damaged cornea with healthy donor tissue.
When is a Cornea Transplant Needed?
A cornea transplant is performed when the cornea becomes too damaged or scarred to allow proper vision. Some common conditions that may require a cornea transplant include:
- Keratoconus – thinning and bulging of the cornea
- Fuchs’ dystrophy – swelling of the innermost corneal cells
- Infections – bacterial, viral, or fungal infections that scar the cornea
- Corneal ulcers – open sores on the cornea that do not heal properly
- Injuries – penetrating injuries, chemical burns, or other trauma
You may like this: Lasik Eye Surgery
The Cornea Transplant Procedure
During a cornea transplant, the surgeon will remove the central damaged portion of the cornea and replace it with a similarly sized and shaped donor cornea. The donor tissue is obtained from an eye bank and screened thoroughly for diseases. The operation is performed under anesthesia and takes 1-2 hours. Stitches are used to hold the new cornea in place while it heals.
Recovery After a Cornea Transplant
Healing and vision recovery after a cornea transplant can take up to a year. Patients are given antibiotic and anti-inflammatory eye drops to prevent infection and reduce swelling. The stitches are removed within a few months once the transplant is stable. Regular follow-up visits to monitor recovery are important. Most people see significant improvement in vision after the healing is complete. However, the final vision may depend on other eye conditions as well.
Finding an Expert Cornea Surgeon in Delhi
Since a cornea transplant is a complex procedure, it is crucial to have an experienced ophthalmologist perform the surgery. When choosing a corneal transplant surgeon in Delhi, look for these qualifications:
- Specialty training in cornea, external diseases, and refractive surgery
- Experience performing hundreds of transplants with excellent success rates
- Uses latest microsurgical techniques for better precision
- Recommended by patients for expertise, care and transparency
- Affiliated with a reputed eye hospital equipped with advanced technology
With an expert cornea specialist, you can have the best chance of regaining vision through a transplant. Do thorough research to find the most qualified surgeon in Delhi for a corneal transplant procedure.
For inquiries, appointments, or any questions you might have, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. You can contact us through the following channels:
Email: [email protected]