Creative Ways to Style Your Built-In Bookcase for Maximum Benefit
Your built-in bookcase might be your home’s most underrated piece of furniture. It’s versatile and functional. Whether you want to display your favorite books or show off family photos, there are endless possibilities for styling your built-in bookcase.
Reasons for Using a Built-In Bookcase
There are many reasons you should use a built-in bookcase in your home. Here are just a few of the reasons why you might want to consider using one:
- They can save space – Built-in bookcases can help to save space in your home using unused wall space.
- They can add value to your home – A built-in bookcase can add value to it as it is a desirable feature by many buyers if you ever decide to sell your home.
- They can be used for storage – Built-in bookcases provide the perfect storage solution for items such as books, DVDs, and even collectibles.
- They can be customized – Unlike many other types of furniture, built-in bookcases can be customized to match your home’s style and decor perfectly.
- They are easy to maintain – Built-in bookcases require very little maintenance and are easy to keep clean.
Design Ideas for Built-In Bookcases
We’ve compiled some of our favorite design ideas to help you make the most of this wonderful piece of furniture.
- One easy way to add interest to your bookcase is by varying the heights of your books. Create visual interest by placing taller books next to shorter ones or grouping items of similar height together.
- You can also use objects of different heights to fill in empty spaces on shelves – this is a great way to add personal touches to your bookcase and make it feel more like home.
- Another way to add personality to your bookcase is by adding unique elements like photos, artwork, or mementos. By scattering these items amongst your books, you’ll create a stylish display that will impress guests. Just be sure not to overcrowd the shelves and leave some negative space, so each item has room to breathe.
- Last but not least, remember accessories! Small items like candles, vases, or even plants can help bring your bookcase alive and make it feel like part of your living.
Tips for styling bookcases in small spaces
If you have a small space, don’t let that stop you from having a built-in bookcase. Here are some tips for styling your built-in bookcases in small spaces:
- Use all shelves-Make sure to fill all the empty shelves! Even if it means stacking books horizontally, every shelf should have something on it.
- Create symmetry- If your bookcase has symmetrical shelving, style it in a way that creates visual balance.
- Utilize vertical space- Take advantage of the height of the bookcase by reaching up high and stacking books or adding tall decorative items.
- Be selective with color- In a small space, too much color can be overwhelming. Stick to a few colors that complement each other and create a cohesive look.
- Use storage baskets- Storage baskets are great for hiding away smaller items or tucking away things that you don’t want on display all the time.
Creative Ways to Style Your Bookcase
If you’ve got a built-in bookcase in your home, you’re already halfway to having a stylish and impactful design element in your space. But what if your built-ins are looking a little dull? Here are some creative ways to style your built-in bookcase for maximum impact.
- Paint them: A fresh coat of paint can do wonders for built-ins. You can go with a bold color to make them pop or opt for a more subtle hue that will complement the rest of your decor.
- Add wallpaper: Wallpaper is another great way to add personality to built-ins. Choose a pattern that coordinates with the rest of your room for a pulled-together look, or go wild with something entirely different for a fun and unexpected touch.
- Height of your bookshelf: You’ll want to ensure that the tallest books are on the bottom shelf and the shortest ones are on the top shelf. This will create a visually pleasing look and help prevent your books from toppling over.
- Edit your selections periodically: Just because you love a certain accessory doesn’t mean it always has to be on display. Mix things up from time to time to keep your bookcase looking fresh and interesting.
- Accessorize: Adding some decorative items to your bookcase will give it personality and make it more inviting. Try placing a vase of flowers on one of the shelves or displaying a favorite piece of art. With a little bit of creativity, you can transform your built-in bookcase into a stylish focal point in any room.
Following these simple tips, you can take your built-in bookcases from boring to wow-worthy in no time.
Once you’ve decided on the best way to style a built-in bookcase, it’s time to get creative and start putting together a look that will have maximum impact. Whether you choose to go bold with color or create an oasis of calm using neutral finishes, there are plenty of creative ways to ensure your built-in bookcase makes a statement in any room. With a bit of imagination, you can transform any bookcase into something special.
If you are looking for a professional to make a bookcase, consider The Burkhart Company to customize your bookcase today.