How does the edge crush tester work?
Whenever you are shipping your products to the market, then it is important to make sure that the box will arrive in the best condition without damaging any contents inside it. But how can you make sure that your box can withstand the rigors of shipping? This can be done by performing quality tests with the help of appropriate lab testing instruments. One of the most important factors to be considered to test the quality of the material is its resistance against edge compression forces.
Thus, to overcome the challenge of poor-quality boxes, we at Presto have designed a digital edge crush tester that is used to test the edge-wise compression strength of boxes and ensure that quality materials will be delivered to the customers.
Presto is a leading manufacturer of ECT/RCT/FCT/crush testers and has designed this high-quality lab testing instrument as per industry standards. In this blog, we are going to discuss brief information about the edge crush tester and how this lab testing instrument is used to test the edge crush resistance of the materials. We will also focus on the edge crush test and why it is conducted.
What is the edge crush test?
edge crush test formula is a laboratory test method that is used to measure the cross-direction crushing of material. This type of quality test is often performed on corrugated cardboard, paperboard, and solid fiberboard.
This quality test is performed by applying a force to the edge of a specimen in order to measure the crushing strength of the material. The results of this test can be used to determine the ability of a material to withstand various types of loads and stresses.
By conducting edge crush tests on the materials, manufacturers can easily ensure that their materials should be able to withstand the packaging loads effectively.
Need of testing the edge crush tester for corrugated boxes
It is important for corrugated boxes to be able to withstand a certain amount of weight and pressure, which is why edge crush tests are performed. These quality tests help to ensure that the box will not collapse or break under normal conditions.
By understanding the edge crush test chart of the materials one can easily determine the strength of boxes to withstand normal conditions and will not collapse or break.
The main purpose of conducting the edge crush test on the materials is to ensure that the materials will be able to withstand the edge crush forces. This type of testing is a measure of the strength of boxes when it will be subjected to rough handling.
You can read more on the purpose of conducting an edge crush test on the materials. Now, let us discuss a brief about Presto Crush /RCT/ECT /FCT Digital Model.
All about Crush /RCT/ECT /FCT Digital Model
Presto being the leading manufacturer of lab testing instruments has designed a high-quality edge crush tester digital model that has been designed to test the crush resistance of different materials. This lab testing equipment is highly useful for performing accurate testing for determining the edge crush strength of paper and its related products.
The higher ECT value determined by the ECT tester depicts the rigidity of the CFB box. Hence, it may be used to compare the quality of the CFB board. It is also possible to determine the compression strength of the box (CFB) by using an ECT tester with McKee’s formula i.e.
Compression strength = k. ECT x T x Z
Where K= Constant
ECT = edge crush test value
T=Thickness of CFB board (wall thickness)
Z= Perimeter of the box i.e. (2 L + 2 W)
This quality lab testing instrument will play an important role in determining the edge crush value of the packaging materials. Now, let us discuss the features of this quality testing equipment.
Features of Presto edge crush tester digital
The Edge Crush Test (ECT) is one of the best quality tests that can be used to test the edge-wise compression strength of corrugated boxes and other related materials. This highly versatile and easy-to-use lab testing equipment will accurately determine the edge crush value of the materials and provide accurate testing results.
Below we have listed the features of this quality testing equipment:
- Simple and accurate read-out on a digital display
- Electronic Force measurement by the Load
- Key lock prevents accidental or unauthorized resetting
- Electro-mechanical Loading System
- Sophisticated Electronic Controls for precision and easy operation
- Competence with Peak-Hold
- Microprocessor-based display for accurate test results
- Separate fixtures for ring crush, edge crush, and flat crush test
- Highly accurate test results under a compression force
- Strong gripping clamps
- Bright LED display
- Inbuilt calibration facility
- Feather touch controls
- Capacity: 100 Kgf
- Least Count: 0.01 Kgf
- Accuracy: ±2% at Full Load (with master load)
- Speed: 12.5±2.5mm/min
- Power Requirement : AC 220V, 50Hz, single phase
- Standard: IS 7063 – 2
With these features and technical specifications, one can easily perform a quality test on the materials. Now, let us discuss the working of this quality testing equipment.
Working on Presto edge crush tester digital
When you’re ready to start your edge crush test, it’s important to place the specimen properly. The right orientation will ensure that the test is accurate and produce reliable results.
After placing the specimen accurately, you need to start the machine and perform the steps mentioned below:
- Press the RESET and TARE buttons to set the peak load indicator to zero.
- Turn the rotatory switch ON to the UP direction.
- After turning the rotatory switch ON, you need to move the lower compression plate in an upward direction exerting a compressive load on the specimen.
- After the lower compression plate starts compression of the specimen, there will be an increase in the value of the load indicator.
- When there is a certain increase in the load value then turn the rotatory switch to the OFF position to stop the machine.
- Once the machine will stop, then the display will show the load and return to zero.
- The deflection display will freeze and after that, press the memory switch on the load indicator to show the peak value.
- Note down the values that will be displayed on the load indicator.
In this way, you can perform the edge crush test on the materials. You can easily conduct an edge crush test on the materials by giving us a call at +91 9210903903 or emailing us at [email protected]. Our team of technical experts will consult you regarding all your needs and queries.
Source link – https://www.prestogroup.com/articles/how-does-the-edge-crush-tester-work/