Is Endometriosis Surgery Right for You? A Guide to Making the Decision
Endometriosis is a medical condition where tissue like the lining of the uterus grows outside of it, causing pain and other symptoms. Surgery can be an option for those with severe endometriosis, but it is not always necessary. In this blog, we will discuss how to decide whether or not you need endometriosis surgery dubai.
Indications for Endometriosis Surgery
The decision to undergo endometriosis surgery is made based on the severity of symptoms and the extent of the endometrial tissue growth. Surgery may be recommended if:
- Pain is affecting your quality of life: If your endometriosis pain is severe and interfering with your daily activities, it may be time to consider surgery.
- Fertility concerns: Endometriosis can cause infertility in some women, and surgery may be recommended to improve the chances of conception.
- Medication isn’t working: Hormonal treatments, such as Progesterone medications, birth control pills or GnRH agonists (short period), can help manage endometriosis symptoms. However, if these treatments are not effective, surgery may be recommended.
- Endometriosis is causing other health problems: In rare cases, endometrial tissue can grow on organs such as the bladder or bowel, causing significant symptoms &health issues. Surgery may be necessary to remove the tissue and prevent further complications.
Requirements for the Right Gynecological Surgeon and Team
If you do decide to undergo endometriosis surgery, it is crucial to choose the right Gynecological surgeon and multispecialtyteam. Here are some things to consider:
- Experience: Choose a surgeon who has experience in performing endometriosis surgery. They should have a track record of successful outcomes.
- Team: Your medical team should be composed of specialists, including Minimally invasive gynecological surgeon, Colorectal surgeon, Urologist, reproductive medicine specialist.
- Hospital: Choose a hospital that has experience in performing endometriosis surgery and that can provide the necessary resources and support.
Recurrence of Endometriosis After Surgery
Even with surgery, endometriosis can recur. The likelihood of recurrence depends on several factors, including the extent of the tissue growth, the effectiveness of the surgery, and the individual’s hormonal and immune system function. If your endometriosis does return after surgery, or if you are at high risk of having a recurrence your doctor may recommend additional treatment options, such as hormone therapy.
Reasons for Recurrence
There are several reasons why endometriosis may recur after surgery, including:
- Incomplete removal of tissue: If the surgeon does not remove all of the endometrial tissue during the surgery, it can grow back.
- New tissue growth: Endometriosis can develop in new areas of the body after surgery.
- Hormonal changes: Hormonal fluctuations can cause endometrial tissue to grow and lead to a recurrence of symptoms.
In conclusion, deciding whether to undergo endometriosis surgery depends on several factors, including the severity of symptoms, fertility concerns, medication effectiveness, and other health issues. If surgery is deemed necessary, it is essential to choose the right surgeon, team, and hospital. Recurrence of endometriosis after surgery is possible, and there are several reasons why it may occur. Consult with your doctor to determine the best course of treatment for your individual needs.
Dr. Alphy S Puthiyidom
Head of the Department
Advanced Gynecological Laparoscopic Surgeon
& Pelvic Reconstructive Surgeon
MEDICLINIC WELCARE HOSPITAL
Al Garhoud, Dubai
MEDICLINIC PARKVIEW HOSPITAL
Umm Sequim, Al Barsha South 3, Dubai