Limb lengthening surgery is a medical procedure designed to increase the length of one’s limbs. The procedure has gained popularity worldwide, primarily for aesthetic and functional reasons.
While this surgical procedure can be life-changing, the cost is one of the most significant considerations for individuals considering limb lengthening surgery. In recent years, India has emerged as a cost-effective destination for limb-lengthening surgeries, attracting patients from around the globe.
The cost of limb-lengthening surgery in India ranges from INR 1.5 to 8.5 lakh or USD 1,800 to 10,000.
What is Limb Lengthening Surgery?
Limb lengthening surgery is a complex orthopedic surgical technique that involves gradually stretching bone and soft tissue to increase the length of a limb. This procedure is typically conducted on the arms or legs and can be life-changing for individuals.
Various reasons why people opt for this procedure are:
- Limb length discrepancies: This procedure can correct inequalities in limb length, which can be congenital or result from injury, disease, or previous surgeries.
- Deformities: Individuals with limb deformities, such as bowlegs (genu varum) or knock-knees (genu valgum), can benefit from limb lengthening surgery to improve their alignment and function.
- Cosmetic enhancement: Some individuals choose limb lengthening surgery for cosmetic reasons to increase their height or improve the symmetry of their limbs.
- Bone loss and defects: Limb lengthening surgery is also employed to address bone loss or defects caused by conditions like osteomyelitis, tumors, or congenital issues.
What are the Methods of Limb-lengthening Surgery?
There are two primary methods for limb lengthening:
- External fixation: This method involves using an external device, such as the Ilizarov apparatus or the Taylor Spatial Frame, which is attached to the patient’s limb. The device contains pins or wires that are inserted into the bone. The surgeon makes precise adjustments to the device, gradually separating the bone segments and stimulating new bone growth.
- Internal fixation: This method uses implants such as nails, rods, or screws placed inside the bone. These implants provide stability and support during the lengthening process. Internal fixation is typically used for specific cases and is less visible than external devices.
What are the Benefits of Limb Lengthening Surgery?
Limb lengthening surgery offers a range of physical and psychological benefits:
- Improved Functionality: Correcting limb length discrepancies and deformities can significantly enhance an individual’s mobility, balance, and overall physical function.
- Pain Relief: Many patients experience relief from pain and discomfort associated with limb discrepancies and deformities following the procedure.
- Enhanced Self-Esteem: Cosmetic limb lengthening can boost self-confidence and improve body image, ultimately leading to enhanced self-esteem and quality of life.
- Increased Opportunities: Improved physical function and aesthetics can open up new opportunities in both personal and professional spheres of life.
- Correction of Congenital Issues: For individuals born with congenital limb discrepancies, limb lengthening surgery can offer a chance at a more normal and fulfilling life.
What is the Cost of Limb Lengthening Surgery in India?
Compared to many Western countries, the cost of limb lengthening surgery in India is significantly lower, making it possible to offer high-quality medical services at a fraction of the price.
The cost of limb lengthening surgery in India is as follows:
- Delhi: USD 5,000 to USD 15,000
- Mumbai: USD 6,000 to USD 18,000
- Bangalore: USD 4,000 to USD 12,000
- Chennai: USD 4,500 to USD 13,000
- Hyderabad: USD 4,000 to USD 12,000
Which Hospitals in India are Popular for Limb Lengthening Surgery?
The hospitals providing limb-lengthening surgery in India are listed below:
Indian Spinal Injuries Center (ISIC), New Delhi:
- Accredited by NABH and NABL, ISIC is the most advanced Spine, Orthopedic, Neuromuscular, and Arthroscopic Surgical Center in India.
- ISIC attends over 200,000 patients across 55 countries every year.
- The Department of Orthopedics at ISIC provides expert management for all aspects of musculoskeletal conditions.
- Orthopedic service covers all ailments, including trauma, oncology, pediatric orthopedics, joint diseases & replacements, and upper limb ailments.
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital:
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is both NABL and JCI accredited.
- The hospital offers the latest Orthopedic treatments and surgical advancements in India on par with the best centers in the world.
- The Orthopedicians at the hospital are trained at the top centers worldwide and work with the latest cutting-edge technology in equipment, operating rooms, recovery areas, and advanced Physical therapy facilities.
- They have well-equipped Orthopedic surgery complexes with modern equipment like an image intensifier, computer navigation system, operating microscope, top-of-the-line arthroscopy system, etc.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital Mumbai:
- The hospital is one of the most modern and state-of-the-art multi-specialty tertiary care hospitals in India.
- They have the first 3-room Intraoperative MRI Suite in India, where patients are never moved during the diagnostic and imaging process.
- Novalis TX at Kokilaben Hospital is among the world’s first whole radiosurgery systems for brain, liver, pancreas, prostate, and lung indications.
- The Centre has dedicated operation theaters supported by Computer-Aided Navigation Systems for Joint Replacement and arthroscopic Surgery that provide accuracy and, in turn, superior long-term results.
Apollo Hospitals, Greams Road, Chennai
- It was the First Indian hospital to be awarded the IS0 9001 and ISO 14001 certifications.
- The Apollo Institutes of Orthopedics symbolizes over 35 years of clinical excellence.
- The hospital offers a range of treatments, from non-surgical management of minor disorders to minimally invasive procedures for correcting major injuries and skeletal deformities.
- Some of the services provided at the hospital include sports medicine and arthroscopy, correction of hand and foot deformities, major joint replacements, spinal care, bone tumor surgery, pediatric orthopedic surgery, and modern physical therapy.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute (FMRI), Gurgaon
- The hospital was established in 1996 and has over 55 facilities in line to offer health facilities within India and abroad.
- It is known as the ‘Mecca of Healthcare’ for the Asia Pacific region.
- The Department of Orthopaedics at FMRI is dedicated to correcting, preventing, diagnosing, and treating skeletal deformities of patients in different age groups.
- This includes disorders of joints, bones, ligaments, muscles, tendons, skin, and nerves. The department specializes in treating cases related to shoulder, foot, hand, knee, hip, spine, and sports injuries.
Limb lengthening surgery can be life-changing for individuals seeking to correct limb discrepancies and deformities or improve their appearance. The low cost of limb-lengthening surgery in India attracts many patients from all over the world. Other factors, such as the competitive healthcare industry, skilled medical professionals, and government initiatives, have contributed to the affordability of limb-lengthening surgery in India.