Risk factors that increase your chance of developing a hernia
In this article, a hernia doctor in Kolkata shares the risk factors that can increase your chances of developing a hernia.
- Gender: Women are at a lesser risk of developing hernia than men.
- Age: Older people tend to have a greater risk of a hernia as their muscles weaken.
- Family History: Although a hernia is not a hereditary disease, you can have a slight chance of getting a hernia if your family members have a hernia. It may be because of the weak muscles in your family history.
- Pregnancy: The stretching of muscles during pregnancy can increase abdominal pressure, increasing the risk of developing a hernia.
- Obesity: One of the most common factors in developing a hernia is being obese, as the abdominal muscles are strained and weakened.
- Smoking: The hernia specialist doctor in Kolkata says people who smoke have a greater chance of developing a hernia. Due to nicotine’s effect, the collagen formation rate decreases and weakens the abdominal muscles.
- Constipation: The pressure developed in the abdominal walls due to constipation can cause a hernia as the muscles get strained.
- Heavy Weight Lifting: Lifting heavy weights daily can increase the risk of developing a hernia as the pressure on the intra-abdominal region may weaken muscles.
- Coughing: People who cough frequently due to smoking or get affected with bronchitis or asthma have a risk of developing hernia as the muscles are strained on continuous coughing.
- Diabetes: For people whose diabetes is poorly managed, the muscles and fascia layers take time to close properly. Any strain on those muscles can result in an incisional hernia as the layers are not properly healed. Hence, a hernia specialist doctor in Kolkata advises control of diabetes.
Unfortunately there is no medical treatment for hernias. All hernias have to be treated surgically, by means of Surgery. Previously hernias would be treated by open surgery, but nowadays almost all of them can be treated by laparoscopy. as a result patients would need to stay for only a day or two days in the hospital. it is important to note that hernias even if they’re not causing problems ( in other words are symptomatic), should also be treated. All hernias can suddenly end up with problems like obstruction and strangulation, which are life-threatening; hence all hernias should undergo surgery. In case a patient is not fit for surgery or is a very high risk candidate, in that situation, one of the best hernia doctors in Kolkata said that the hernia should be left alone after explaining the consequences to the patient and their relatives.