Tips to Quickly Respond During Active Shooting Incidents
This article was genuinely published here and copied with permission.
Active shooting incidents are on a hike nowadays. The majority of violent causalities include active shooting incidents. The incidents of active shootings are increasing drastically; there are chances that one day you may also face such a situation. Therefore, you must opt for active shooter response courses to ensure your safety. Future is unpredictable, and one cannot be assured of not becoming a victim of active shooting incidents. The active shooting training will educate you about the possibilities and risks during active shooting incidents. Besides this, the training will also develop a natural response in your body to act in such situations.
What is an Active Shooter?
An active shooter is a person or group who make hostages in public places and kills people. They target public places to get national attention. Generally, the public places they choose include a mall, church, office and school. They create havoc and immediately freeze all the exits of the building or place. Situations of active shootings are very drastic that people lose their patience and urge for an immediate response from the law and police.
You need to understand that law enforcement takes time, and you must maintain calm until the rescue operation. Active shooter response courses help you maintain calm and provide specialized civilian responses to tackle such incidents. In addition, in any active shooting incident, you can ensure safety by being more alert and well-informed towards the surrounding.
Tips to Respond During Active Shooting Incidents?
If you ever face an active shooting incident in your vicinity, then your active shooter training can become your ultimate saviour and save your and your loved ones’ life. Many training firms and defender schools provide offline and online active shooter courses, so if you lack time, you can also opt for online courses.
Indoor Active Shooting Response Tips
There are two possible places where active shooting incidents can take place. First is indoor, and the other is outdoor active shooting incidents. Follow the below-given tips if you ever get trapped in an indoor active shooting incident: –
- Always try to lock the entrance door if you are in a building or a room. In addition, you can barricade windows and doors to add an extra safety layer.
- If you aren’t in a room, always run or look for camouflage. Try to hide behind a desk, table or other possible safe areas.
- If you know the area or building well, you can try to escape the situation. However, before deciding to escape, you must ensure that the shooter is far away from you, and you must know about the nearby exit.
Outdoor Active Shooting Incident Response Tips
- Run to the area that can be locked or barricaded; you need to be as quick as possible because a delay of every second takes you near death.
- Try to find a camouflaging place or object to hide.
- Immediately contact the emergency helpline and update them about the situation.
- If you are hidden, don’t come out unless you hear the all-clear call from the police officials.
A little courage and active shooting training can save the life of many innocent people during an active shooting incident. Defender School LLC is the best place to learn practical active shooting training if you are interested in active shooting training.