A hysterectomy is a kind of surgical procedure that removes the uterus. Depending on the cause of the surgery, a hysterectomy can also involve the removal of surrounding tissues and organs like the ovaries and the fallopian tubes. After this procedure, a woman will be unable to get her monthly menstrual cycles and become pregnant. Read to know about the procedures of hysterectomy in detail from the best gynecologist in Kolkata.
Why is a hysterectomy done?
A hysterectomy is done to treat the following conditions.
1. Heavy or abnormal vaginal bleeding that cannot be managed with the help of other treatment methods.
2. Uterine fibroids or non-cancerous tumours
3. Uterine or cervical cancer or abnormalities that can result in cancer
4. Conditions affecting the lining of the uterus, like hyperplasia, adenomyosis or recurrent uterine polyps
5. Severe pain during menstruation that cannot be managed with other treatments
6. Rise in pelvic pain related to your uterus
7. Uterine prolapse that can result in urinary incontinence or problems with bowel movements.
Different types of hysterectomy
• Vaginal hysterectomy
This procedure is done to treat uterine prolapse and other non-cancerous conditions. Your uterus gets removed during a vaginal hysterectomy through an incision made at the top of the vagina.
• Abdominal hysterectomy
In an abdominal hysterectomy, a uterus gets removed through a six or eight-inch long incision made in the abdomen, says the best gynecologist in Salt Lake. This procedure is mainly done when the uterus has got enlarged due to cancer or if the disease has spread to your pelvic areas.
• Laparoscopic hysterectomy
For a laparoscopic hysterectomy, the best gynecologist uses a laparoscope that is inserted into the lower abdomen through a small incision made around the belly button. The recovery period after a laparoscopic hysterectomy is less painful and shorter.
We have discussed why a hysterectomy is done and its different types. Consult with the best gynecologist to find out which treatment will be the most suitable for you.