When Your Partner is a Depressed Drunk – Getting Help in Houston, TX
Alcohol can make men depressed, contrary to popular opinion. Knowing what to do to get them the help they need is essential, especially if they are men in your life. Depression in men manifests in different ways; in most cases, it shows up as excessive drinking. Getting help in good times matters hence the need to partner with Skyward Treatment facility in Houston, TX.
Symptoms to Watch Out For
Depression is a real issue in today’s society. It affects both men and women in equal measure. Check for at least five of the following symptoms or signs to conclude that the person you suspect is struggling with depression.
- Feeling sad or hopeless.
- Changes in eating habits; sudden weight gain or loss.
- Change in sleep habits; sleeping more or less than usual.
- Feelings of guilt or shame.
- Slowed thinking and movements.
- Loss of interest in things once enjoyed.
- Trouble paying attention or making decisions.
- Thoughts of suicide.
Men and Depression
Women suffer depression twice as more as men do. However, men hardly vocalize their struggles; hence, they get help when it is too left or none, which is not the case with women. Men hold back for several reasons, including:
- Fear of appearing weak
- Fear of the stigma associated with mental illnesses
- Fear of the situation getting worse
As a result, men will show their depression in the following manner:
- They seem irritable and will often lash out for no apparent reason
- Loss of libido. Depression can affect a man’s sexual libido and dampen their sex life
- Ignores obligations.They no longer value obligations and responsibility and hence will become reckless and careless
- Substance abuse.Men will be more susceptible to drug and alcohol abuse as a way of masking or hiding their symptoms.
- High-risk behaviors.Since most depressed men are frustrated, they don’t value life and are more likely to engage in high-risk behavior.
- More controlling.Most men will overcompensate for their depression by wanting to be more controlling
- Suicidal thoughts.Depressed men are more likely to be suicidal compared to women
Drinking to Self Medicate
Most women are moved intuitively to worry when their spouses begin to drink due to depression. Note that alcohol and depression are a terrible combination that can only lead to disaster if nothing is done.
Most people develop Alcohol Use Disorders when they turn to alcohol as a way of self-medicating to deal with depression. Research has proven that most people suffering from depression have, at one point, struggled with AUD in life.
Symptoms of Alcohol Use Disorders
Common symptoms of AUD that you can notice in a husband strolling with this include:
- He can’t control his alcohol intake.
- Strong alcohol cravings.
- Unsuccessful when attempting to quit drinking.
- Ignores obligations.
- Increased tolerance and alcohol consumption
- Loss of interest in hobbies or social events
- Engages in high-risk behaviors while drinking.
- Continues to drink regardless of the adverse effects.
- Experiences withdrawal symptoms when not drinking.
Causes of Depression
Several factors cause depressive disorders. Below are some of the common reasons.
- Family history – some families struggle with depression in their family
- Brain chemistry – brain chemistry balance is essential for mood regulation as this affects your ability to stay strong and free from anxiety and depression.
- Depending on one’s nature, dealing with issues and stressful life events may not be accessible. Some people become depressed when they cannot cope.
- Stressful life events.Issues like trauma and lousy life experiences such as sexual abuse, sudden loss of loved ones, and divorce can trigger depressive disorders
- Medical conditions.Some medical conditions and diseases can lead to depression, such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, HIV, Parkinson’s disease, and stroke, to mention a few.
The good news is that the depression linked to alcoholism can be treated. If your depression is caused by alcoholism, or if you become an alcoholic due to depression, getting help is what matters. Get your spouse or husband committed to a facility where they can get their needed help. Skyward Treatment in Houston, TX, is your go-to solution. Try your best to get them the assistance you need. Call us today.