In the year 2014, the Government of India introduced the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) scheme to make the process of obtaining an Indian visa easier and quick. The next year it was renamed “e-Tourist Visa”. In the year 2017, the name was again changed to “e-Visa” and was divided into further categories by the Indian Government.
Initially, this scheme was implemented in phases which later on extended to more than 160 countries.
With this scheme launched, India witnessed a rapid growth in its tourism sector which contributed to the economic growth of the country.
Important Points to Know before Applying for an Indian e-Visa
There are some rules and regulations of the Indian Government that are required to be followed by every foreign tourist while applying for an Indian e-Visa.
Before applying for the Indian e-Visa, you need to ensure that the passport you are carrying is valid for at least six months with two blank pages in it.
It is impossible to extend the validity of the e-Visa and it is also non-convertible.
The amount paid as visa fees can never be refunded, whether the visa is granted or not by the Indian Government.
Different Categories of Indian e-Visa
The Government of India divided e-Visa India into 5 different parts to make it more user-friendly and accomplish the process of obtaining the visa conveniently. Those categories are:
- The e-Business Visa for the visitors who wish to conduct and expand their business in India
- The e-Tourist Visa for tourists who want to travel, explore and enjoy the beautiful landscapes of India. The visitors who want to attend any wedding or meet their friends and family may also apply for an e-Tourist visa India.
- The e-Medical Visa for the foreign nationals who want to go for some kind of medical treatment.
- The e-Medical Attendant Visa for the travelers who want to accompany the foreigners who are going to seek medical care.
- The e-Conference Visa for those nationals of foreign countries who want to attend any kind of business event or conference.
What is the Procedure for Attaining the Indian e-Visa?
An Indian e-Visa can be obtained conveniently sitting at home and it helps to save your time as well as money. To obtain an e-Visa India, the applicant just needs to follow a few simple steps. Here are the steps that are required to be followed:
- Fill an online Indian visa application form in which your personal details will be asked.
- Recheck the filled form carefully to avoid any mistakes and errors.
- Submit the scanned copy of the necessary documents and a digital photo as per the rules of the Indian Government.
- Pay the relevant e-Visa application fees depending on the type of visa and the applicant’s nationality.
Visa Validity for e-Visa holders
The e-Tourist visas for one month are valid for 30 days with a single entry. The one-year and five-year visas are valid for 365 days and five years respectively with multiple entries.
The e-Business visa has a validity of 365 days whereas with an e-Conference you can stay in India for a period of 30 days only.
The e-Medical visa and e-Medical Attendant visa are valid for 60 days from the date of arrival in India with 3 permitted entries.