The Ultimate Guide To Buying The Best Home Appliances like AC and Air cooler
As hot summer afternoons lay in front of us, most people might be preparing to make their homes comfortable by purchasing a best AC or air cooler. However, with a plethora of brands and models in the market, it might be a tough choice to select one that fits your requirements.
Before making your purchase, you need to understand the utility of both ACs and air coolers and determine whether they are right for your space or not. Here is a guide to help you navigate the process of choosing either of these two and determine which one is suitable:
Types of air conditioners
There are three types of air conditioners in the market that you can choose from:
- Window AC: This single unit device works well in rooms with a window. Installation, as well as maintenance, is easy. It is also budget-friendly as compared to other types of ACs. However, it is heavier because the condenser, compressor, evaporator and cooling coil are all fitted within a single box. It may also prove to be noisier and hence might cause some disturbance. These are priced between ₹20,000 to ₹35,000.
- Split AC: Comprising an indoor unit (evaporator and cooling fan) and an outdoor one (compressor, condenser and expansion valve), split ACs are less noisy and can cool faster. However, they need to be installed properly for optimum performance. These are priced at ₹25,000 to 48,000.
- Tower AC: Also known as floor-standing ACs, these portable units are suitable for large spaces and require no installation. They are a bit expensive and range from ₹50,000 to ₹78,000
An air cooler is a cost friendly alternative for those who cannot afford air conditioners. Cooler prices can vary from ₹4000 to ₹8000. Apart from a basic two-speed motor, pump switch and bleed system that your cooler should have, here are a few additional things to keep in mind:
- Pad thickness: Cooler pads should be at least 50mm thick for optimal cooling and performance.
- Speed options: A cooler with different speed options should be preferred with one offering only two speed choices.
- Auto control: An air cooler with an electronic thermostat is a good option. It helps you to vary the fan speed and also turn off the pump and switch it on when required.
- Auto closing dampers: Dampers that can shut off automatically when the cooler is not operational can reduce heat loss.
- Water level control: Since an air cooler requires water, an automatic system to alert when the water level is low can be helpful. Not only does it maintain the water at the desired level for optimum functioning of the machine, but it also prevents overflowing of the tank. Otherwise, you would need to keep a tab on the water levels in the cooler yourself.
- Water level indicator: A cooler that comes with an indicator for the water level saves you the trouble of opening the water tank every now and then to check if there is sufficient water. With a water level indicator installed, you only need to fill the tank when it shows the level is low.
- Portability: If you want to move the cooler from one room to another, you can opt for one with wheels. However, the trolley will cost you extra.
These pointers would help you to make an informed decision when you go to buy an AC or air cooler in the market.