Hair transplant surgery is a surgical procedure that is designed to implant healthy hair follicles from a ‘donor site’ (area of healthy hair growth) to the ‘recipient site’ (area of transplantation).
This surgery is being practiced for decades now. Overtime there has been development in the techniques used for performing this surgery.
There are currently two main techniques that doctors use. FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant) or more commonly known as ‘strip’ and FUE (Follicular Unit Excision).
Difference between FUT and FUE
FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant):
This is techniques focuses on taking a strip of healthy hair growth from the ‘donor site’ and is then divided into smaller units to be transplanted to the ‘recipient site’. The grafts are usually consist of one to four hair follicles.
FUE (Follicular Unit Excision):
This technique is more advanced. The latest technology is used to extract individual hair follicles from the ‘donor site’ using a ‘punch’ device. The extracted follicles are then transplanted individually to the ‘recipient site’.
The only difference between these techniques is the way the donor area is harvested.
Which is technique is better
Both techniques have been known to give excellent results. However every procedure has its pros and cons. There are a lot of individual factors that affect the results of these procedures. However some general advantages are;
Advantages of FUT:
- Greater yield: this technique harvests the follicles from the mid-portion of the donor site, where there is the healthiest hair growth.
- Majority of hair is left unshaved: FUT technique leaves majority of hair can be left long. This is ideal for patients who need to return to work quickly or those in the public eye.
- Faster surgery time: this surgery is a lot quicker than FUE. FUT procedure usually takes around four to ten hours.
- Less expensive than FUE: it is far less expensive than FUE as it does not require the use of a ‘punch’ device.
Advantages of FUE:
- Minimum scarring: Compared to FUT, which leaves linear scars, this method leaves only a series of tiny dot scars which are so small that they can be difficult to find with the naked eye.
- Short recovery time: After the procedure there are only small holes left and there are no stitches required. Therefore the recovery period is faster.
- Can keep hair short: after this procedure the patients can keep short hair styles as well as there will not be visible scars.
- Ideal for small transplants: FUE is preferable for those patients requiring only a small number of grafts, or for younger recipients in the early stages of hair loss.
The most exciting part of this procedure is that only a local anesthetic is used. There is however a small amount of patients that feel discomfort, but there is not pain.
The doctor usually decides after assessing the patient’s scalp which technique will be used.
Some of the common side effects include:
- Swelling and Recovery pain
- Bleeding, in case the of FUT
- Infection, in the worst case scenario.
As a precaution, the doctor may prescribe anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic medicine.
How successful is the transplant
This is a very successful treatment for male pattern balding. 98% of people who have opted for hair transplantation are happy with the results of the surgery.
There is always a factor of choosing a trustworthy clinic. Since this is a surgical procedure it is important to check your doctor’s credentials.
The doctors at the best hair transplant surgery in Lahore, are highly qualified to perform surgical procedures. They take great care and caution while performing procedures.
Other Alternatives for Hair Restoration
- Laser treatment
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP)
- Trichopigmentation: Scalp Trichopigmentation (STP) or scalp micropigmentation (SMP)
There are also these options available for people who are looking for hair restoration.
Hair transplant was first introduced as a cure for male pattern balding. However, now it is a well sought out procedure by females as well. There are a lot of psychological factors correlated with the balding. These include; stress and depression caused by lack of confidence or self-esteem. more read blog cirebuzz