Grandparents rights qld in Australia: The Family Law Act states the importance of children having a relationship with grandparents and other significant family members.

Although The Family Law Act ( GRANDPARENTS EXTENDED FAMILY ) does not give Grandparents rights to see their grandchildren, it does provide the right to seek Court Orders which would allow them to spend time with the children.

In some situations, the orders sought from the Court may include an aspect of the children living on a permanent basis with the Grandparents.

What is the Position under the Family Law Act?

The Family Law Act 1975 provides the protection of the children is paramount. This principle applies Australia-wide and primarily focuses on the rights of children to be cared for by parents, their welfare, and other such development. This also includes the children’s relationship with their grandparents.

The factors used by the Court in determining the best interests of the children are set out in section 60CC of the Family Law Act. This is also commonly referred to as ‘Additional Considerations’.

The reference to Grandparents rights is mentioned multiple times throughout this section, with the Court placing significant consideration on the following factors:

  • The nature of the relationship the children have with the Grandparents (or other significant relatives of the child);
  • The likely effect of a change on the child, including the effect of separation from the Grandparents; and
  • The capacity of the Grandparents to provide for the needs of the child.

Whilst there are other factors that the Court may consider relevant, the final decisions will ultimately be factors that directly relate to determining the best interests of the children.

A common situation where the Court is likely to grant the Grandparent of a child with parental responsibility is where the child has been subject to harm/abuse or has a significant risk of further harm/abuse, or where a parent of the child has a serious addiction to alcohol/drugs and no longer has the capacity to care for the child.

Court Applications on Grandparents Rights

In these situations, the Court may hear an application made by a Grandparents to have the child enter their care either temporarily or permanently.

However, a court application would be the last resort, with mediation being a suggested entry point in regard to proceedings.

Before you begin seeking time or arrangements for a grandchild, you should seek legal advice based on your position.

Or if you face any kind of other issues like Parents rights against grandparents, visitation rights for grandparents, grandparents rights to access grandchildren, fighting against grandparents rights, etc just contact us.

If you require advice on any of the information outlined above, please contact us on 1800 662 535 or email us at [email protected] to discuss your options. Our Brisbane Family Lawyers team can help you find a solution.

????????Find Brisbane family lawyers on Google Maps near you.

You may also like to know more information about the