Offshore Child Visa Subclass 101 or Onshore Child Visa Subclass 802 is the answer. This article will outline the benefits of both visas and help you decide which is best suited to your circumstances. Both visas allow parents, guardians, or relatives of minors currently residing in Australia on a temporary visa and apply to live and work under the care of their child in Australia permanently.

This guide will take you through the details of both visas, helping you identify which one may be right for your situation.

Child Visa Subclass 101:

Child Visa Subclass 101 can be applied for by any person that is not an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia if they meet the following criteria:

  • They were born overseas and were not entitled to the right of abode in Australia.
  • They were born overseas and entitled to citizenship rights in another country.
  • They are the biological parent of the child; and
  • The child has no parent that has citizenship or permanent resident status in Australia.

Child Visa Subclass 802:

If you are a parent and want to bring your child on vacation with you, then this visa is perfect! With this visa, children ages 0-18 can be in Australia as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian who holds either an Australian permanent residence visa or an Australian temporary resident visa. It may be more advantageous if both parents can apply for a onshore child visa subclass 802 visa.

To be eligible to apply for an Onshore Child Visa Subclass 802

  • The child must have at least one parent who is either an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible citizen living in Australia.
  • The child must also meet the criteria of being under 18 years old, unmarried, and not having any children of their own.
  • The Child Visa Subclass 802 processing time depends on where you apply and the type of visa. It typically takes between six to eight weeks to process an application.

What is the best option when applying for your child’s visa?

The best option for parents applying for their child’s visa is to apply under Offshore Child Visa Subclass 101. This visa allows a child to live in Australia indefinitely, with the ability to travel outside of Australia from time to time. The downside of this visa is that it requires a substantial investment and is only available for children who are adopted overseas.

The other option is the Child Visa Subclass 802. It offers more flexibility but does not provide an uncertain residency status like Child Visa Subclass 101. In addition, you can apply for your child as an offshore applicant or an onshore applicant.

For Offshore applicants:

Offshore applicants have to have been sponsored by a relative living in Australia. Either must sponsor onshore applicants:

  1. A close family member is living permanently in Australia.
  2. An Australian citizen or permanent resident.
  3. A government agency (if certain conditions are met).

To get sponsorship, you will need documentation such as evidence of long-term residency in Australia, copies of any identification documents, proof that you have obtained refugee or humanitarian residence, and proof that you are financially stable enough to support your dependents when applying for Offshore Child Visa Subclass 101.