The Southwest Airlines flight policy changes you need to know
The Southwest Change Flight Policy allows you to change to a different flight on the same day or on another date or to a completely different destination.
Southwest’s change flight policy comes with a list of terms that make it crucial to understand the Southwest change flight policy if there is a difference between ticket prices.
Flight Change Rules for Southwest Airlines
The following are the basic rules and conditions for accessing the Change Southwest Flight option.
- Flights booked with Southwest can only be changed.
- Connecting flights may or may not change the secondary flight.
- Date, time, destination, origin, and fare type are the only changes to flights.
- Airline changes are not limited in number.
- The only way to alter companion tickets on Southwest is to cancel them in advance.
Flight Change Policy for International Flights
- Southwest Airlines does not charge extra for change fees on international flights.
- It is your responsibility to pay the difference in the ticket price.
- Refundable international flight tickets will be refunded in cash.
- In the case of Southwest Flight Tickets that are non-refundable, the refund will be credited as an e-credit.
The Southwest 24-hour flight change policy
When a passenger cancels or changes the flight within 24 hours of purchase, he is entitled to a full refund. A refund request form will be filled out by you if you wish to change or cancel your flight within 24 hours without any penalty.
Same-day flight change policy at Southwest
- During the same-day Flight Change Policy At Southwest, passengers can change their flight to an earlier or later flight on the same day. Nevertheless, a confirmed reservation and the type of fare purchased by the passenger will determine this.
- A same-day change can be made up to 10 minutes before the departure time of the new flight, but government taxes and fees may apply.
- Customer who qualify for the same-day change must be an A-List Preferred Member, an A-List Member, or a customer with an eligible fare.
Same-day standby policy at Southwest
Southwest offers same-day standby services if there are no open seats for same-day changes. In the event that an earlier flight becomes available between the same airports on the same day, passengers can add their names to the standby list. In order to use this benefit, passengers must request inclusion on the same-day standby list at least 10 minutes before the original departure time. A government tax and fee may apply.
A-List Preferred Members, A-List Members, and customers with eligible fares are eligible for same-day standby.
Southwest Flight Changes – How Do I Do It?
Make sure you make any changes to your booking before Southwest check-in on the day of departure. Follow the steps below:
- Visit the airport’s website or download the main application.
- A-list flyers must log in to their accounts.
- Choose the Southwest Airlines same-day flight change option on your existing itinerary.
- In the event that you select a new flight, you will receive a new booking confirmation e-mail.
- Confirm your flight change by following the check-in process again.
Stand-By Flights on the Same Day: How Do I List?
If you wish to list for a stand-by flight without altering your existing booking, do so at least 30 minutes before departure.
- Visit Southwest’s official website or download its mobile app.
- This app’s View/Manage section can be found here.
- Select Same-Day Standby here.
- Select the flight you wish to list as a stand-by.
- In the event that an opening is available, you will receive an email with more details.
Flight change procedures
Southwest Airlines offers a variety of ways for passengers to change their flights, including its website, mobile app, and customer service. A fee or restriction may apply based on the fare type and timing of the change. Make sure you review the specific terms and conditions associated with your desired change.
What is the procedure for changing a Southwest Airlines flight?
The steps below will guide you through changing your Southwest Airlines flight based on your specific needs:
Online flight changes
- Visit the Southwest Airlines official website to log in to your account.
- Make changes to a specific trip by selecting it.
- Changing a round-trip flight is as simple as selecting the “Change Flight” option.
- Change your flight’s date, time, or destination by following the prompts.
Changing your flight over the phone
- Southwest Airlines customer service can assist you if you prefer to change your flight over the phone. Make sure that you call 10 minutes prior to the original time of your flight.
- When speaking with a representative, provide the details of the changes you want to make, such as the new destination or travel dates.
Change fees for Southwest flights in 2023
If the passenger changes the flight at least 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time, Southwest Airlines charges no flight change fee. Southwest Airlines will not charge a change fee for any flight changes, but the eligibility for changes will vary depending on the type of ticket purchased.
- When you book a new flight, you’ll have to pay the difference, including taxes (if any) and any additional services.
- In the event that the new flight is cheaper, you’ll receive a travel fund that can be used for future travel
- Rapid Rewards points are credited back to your account if you cancel a flight using Rapid Rewards points
Review Southwest Flight Cancellation Policy if you wish to cancel a Southwest flight ticket.
Southwest flights can be changed for free, right?
- There are no Southwest change fees and Southwest Airlines welcomes flight changes.
- It is only necessary to pay the fare difference if you wish to change Southwest Airlines’ itinerary.
- There are no hidden charges or change charges.
- Plan changes or emergency situations will not be charged by the airline.
When you change your Southwest flight, do you get a refund?
If the airline refuses to change your flight request due to any reason, you can ask for a refund. They will either cancel your ticket and refund your money, or put you on a new flight.
- In the event of an involuntary Southwest flight change, refunds will also be given.
- A refund will also be available for Southwest flights that are missed because of sudden changes.
- Refund requests can be made directly to the airline agents at customer care.
Among the most user-friendly policies, Southwest’s change flight policy accommodates all fliers’ needs. As a result of this policy, passengers can change their flights same-day as well as get free modifications. By allowing them to change their date, time, and seat, the airline makes flying more convenient and easy.
What you need to know about Southwest’s change flight refund policy
- The unused refundable tickets can be used for future travel or refunded within one year of issue.
- Refunds are issued in the same form of payment that you used to make the purchase.
- Tickets refunded by debit card or credit card will be credited to the same card within seven days of the refund request.
- It may take up to 10 days for your bank to credit your account with the refund amount.
Flight Change Terms & Conditions – Southwest Airlines
In addition, there are few other conditions in which Southwest’s Change Flight Policy is applied differently. Please read the following points to know what Southwest’s Change Flight Policy applies to certain reservations and circumstances.
If you switch to a Southwest Airlines refundable fare, the extra charges will only be refunded if you switch cabins.
Southwest passengers who book a non-refundable flight upgrade to a non-refundable cabin type. If they change the cabin type, they change the fare type. After all this, if the ticket is cancelled, the amount of the refund will be the amount necessary to book the refundable fare. The original amount of the non-refundable ticket cannot be refunded.
Multi-Reservation Single Ticket Change
In the event that a single person wants to change a reservation for more than two people. It is possible to apply for changes by dividing the itinerary and then dividing the itinerary again. All this can be done online or via the mobile application. You can contact the airline on its helpline number if there are any issues implementing the same.
Changing a minor’s reservation
There is no way to change a Southwest Airlines ticket with minor reservations. In the first scenario, a reservation for the minor along with a new flight must be made. In the second scenario, cancel the entire itinerary or just cancel the Southwest Flight ticket of the minor. In the second scenario, changes in the adult ticket are applicable after cancelling the minor’s ticket. The airline representatives can be contacted if passengers encounter any issues.
Southwest Flight with Companion Changed
If you wish to make changes to a Southwest Airlines’ ticket reservation with a companion, you will first need to cancel the person’s ticket or the entire reservation. Then you can make the changes as described.
- Southwest Involuntary Changes: The Southwest Airlines airline sometimes sends confirmation emails for other flights at the same time or later. Various reasons, including technical errors, cause such changes. It is the passenger’s choice whether to take the alternative flight or reject it and request a refund if the schedule does not coincide with the new timings.
- Southwest Airlines offers refunds in the original form of payment or as Travel Credits for future travel. Passengers can book a new flight within 14 days after the original departure date.