Top 10 Benefits of Using NodeJS for Real-Time Chat App Development
Aircraft navigation programs, multimedia broadcasts, and multiplayer video games are some of the extensively used real-time applications. When building a real-time chat application, you need a robust runtime environment. While there are options, no runtime environment matches the aura of Node.js.With Nodejs development services, businesses can build rich and powerful real-time chat applications.
This blog discusses the top 10 benefits of using Node.js for developing real-time chat apps. Before we begin, let’s cover the basics first.
What is a Real-Time Chat Application?
A real-time chat app is a mobile or web app that allows users to leverage real-time conversations effortlessly. Real-time chat apps are popularly called live-chat apps and allow users to exchange data via text, pictures, and even videos. It typically works by transmitting live text messages from the sender to the recipient.
What are the Must-Have features of a Real-Time Chat App?
A real-time chat app must be simple to use and provide the following functional features to the users:
- Simple Login
- Cloud Storage and Backup
- Standard Data Security
- Data Encryption
- Dark and light modes
- Send Messages & Receive Them
- Save Chat Messages
Additionally, it could also include the following features:
- Message Status
- Group Chats
- Conversation History
- Audio and Video calls
- Voice Messaging as part of chat message event
Why are Real-Time Chat Apps Popular?
- Help facilitate short conversations and allow people to communicate quickly
- Instant messages are more visible than emails
- Global connectivity, even across remote regions
- It does not require technical expertise and is very easy to use
- Voice-based messages save time otherwise used in typing
- Provides users with a standard virtual connectivity
- Useful in both formal and informal communication
Leading Real-Time Messaging Platforms
|Platform Name||MajorFeatures Offered||Ideal for Developing|
|Back4app||● Real-Time Messages
● Push Notifications
● User Authentication
● Email Verification
● Third-Party Service Integrations
● Social Login
|Creating Real-time chat features in Web and mobile apps|
|PubNub||● Real-time Database
● In Chat App
● IoT Device Control
|Developing API for mobile, IoT, and web applications|
|Firebase||● Real-Time Database
● ML Kit
● Cloud Messaging
|Creating interactive mobile & web solutions|
Noteworthy Statistics About the Real-Time Chat Features
- 90% of customers find real-time chat useful, as per research by ATG Global Consumer Trend.
- 63% of users are likely to revisit the website offering real-time chat support, says a report by emarketerdotcom.
- 38% of people claimed that they bought items and services solely due to the chat session, says a report by emarketerdotcom.
- 79% of clients choose real-time chat as it leads to instant responses.
- The global customer satisfaction rate with live chat usage was 84% in 2021, says a Statista report.
- The global average of the customer live chat duration in 2021 was 11 minutes and 15 seconds, as per a report by Statista.
The average customer live chat duration worldwide for different industry verticals in 2021 was as follows (Source – Statista):
|S.no||Business Industry Vertical||Average Time in 2021|
|3||Business Service||17.45 minutes|
|7||Real Estate||5.58 minutes|
What is Node.js?
10 Major Benefits of Using Node.js for Creating a Real-time Chat Application
1. High-Speed Performance
The lower the response time, the higher the user experience. People of all generations do not want to use a slow app. Node.js handles large volumes of data in seconds and streams it back to the end user. Moreover, it only requires a few servers to handle various requests.
SEO-friendliness is always a bonus when making a business-based application. Thankfully, Node.js is an SEO-friendly runtime server. A Nodejs programmer integrates SEO capabilities into the real-time chat app. The result is good visibility on the search engine, including Google and Bing.
3. Minimal Coding Efforts
Node.js works with module-based functionality. Under the module-based functionality, the entire code gets divided into several modules. It effectively trims the code complexity and allows the Node js developer to code seamlessly.
4. Same Programming Language for the Client and Server Side
5. High Code Reusability
Code reusability significantly saves development time and effort, which is a significant concern for any project. When stuck, developers need to try and switch out various components. Node.js gives access to all the modules through communities like NPM (Node Package Manager). So, it also boosts productivity among the developer’s team.
6. Event-Driven Server
Real-time apps cater to a large number of users simultaneously. Node.js comes with an event-driven & asynchronous structure that powers the app with non-blocking functionality. The runtime environment allows the app to handle multiple requests effortlessly with its unique event-driven server.
7. Accelerates App Scaling
8. Tracks I/O bound tasks
9. Effortless Data Transfer and Rendering
Node.js makes data accessible at all times. It eases the handling of real-time data for Node js developers. The result is smooth data transfer and rendering between the client & server side of the application.
10. Popular Real Time Apps Have Used Node.js
Uber, Netflix, Paypal, Groupon, and LinkedIn are famous real-time apps that have trusted Node.js. Each of these companies has enhanced web performance with higher scalability and speed by using Node.js for a server environment.
“Sean McCullough, who is a former software engineer at Groupon, said that they choose Node.js because of the growing community, NPM, performance, and scalability as leading factors.”
Similarly, various other enterprises have also conveyed how they are making the most of their real-time apps with Node.js.
That was all about why you should use Node.js for real-time app development. There is a growing demand for real-time messaging among various industries. It’s best to upgrade your existing website, web, or mobile app with live messaging services. So you stay updated with the latest technology trends. Connect with a reliable Node js app development company, so your development project runs seamlessly.