If you’re from other countries and want to work in the United States, you’ll need appropriate work visas.


There are two main types of visas for that:


  • temporary
  • permanent


Both categories come with their own terms and requirements.


Temporary Work Visas


Temporary work visas, which are also called non-immigrant work visas, let people from other countries live and work in the U.S. for a fixed period.


These visas are specific to the employer and have expiration dates. When the dates pass, workers must leave the country or apply for an extension.


The most common ones are:


  • H-1B
  • L-1
  • O-1
  • TN
  • H-2A and H-2B


An employer in the U.S. must file a petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before a worker can apply for most temporary work visas.


Permanent Work Visas (Green Cards)


Foreigners can live and work in the United States permanently with permanent work visas, also called employment-based green cards.


Compared to temporary visas, these visas give you more freedom to travel and change jobs. Green card holders can eventually apply to become citizens of the United States.


There are five preference categories for permanent work visas:


  • EB-1
  • EB-2
  • EB-3
  • EB-4
  • EB-5


For an employer to get an employment-based green card, they need to get labor certification from the Department of Labor and file an immigrant petition with USCIS on behalf of the worker. Because of annual green card limits, this process is long and can take years.


The application process for work visas and immigration matters in general are complicated. To shoot up your approval chances, consulting with immigration lawyers is recommended.


The Immigration Legal Center excels in assisting clients with intricate immigration procedures. They provide expert help in obtaining visas, such as H-1B, and understanding U.S. immigration regulations. Their committed team offers customized support and boasts a high success rate.w