Advantages of QuickBooks Desktop Multi-User Mode for Small Businesses
QuickBooks Desktop multi-user mode for small businesses with multiple employees needing to access QuickBooks Company files. This allows for smooth collaboration and sharing of accounting and bookkeeping duties within QuickBooks. Understanding the key benefits of multi-user access can help small businesses determine if activating it makes sense for their needs and workflows.
What is Multi-User Mode in QuickBooks Desktop?
The multi-user mode in QuickBooks Desktop enables more than one user to access the same company file simultaneously.
It allows real-time, simultaneous collaboration across a team on bookkeeping tasks like invoicing, payables, reporting, and more. Employees can work in QuickBooks without overriding each other’s changes or needing to take turns with exclusive access.
Multi-user requires QuickBooks Pro or Premier and additional license fees per user. The hosted company files must be stored on a network drive or by QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Top Advantages of Multi-User Mode
Here are some of the significant benefits of utilizing multi-user mode for small business QuickBooks:
The most significant advantage is the ability for multiple employees to work in the company file simultaneously. This facilitates real-time collaboration without employees overwriting one another’s work.
With QuickBooks Desktop multi-user, accounting tasks can be seamlessly divided across the team. Invoicing, accounts receivable, payables, bank reconciliation, and reporting can all run in parallel for optimal efficiency.
Work does not need to stop and start based on who has exclusive access to the company file. Multi-user enables persisting productivity gains for bookkeeping workflows.
There is one central source of truth for company data rather than multiple disparate file versions. All users access the same up-to-date information.
Specialization of Duties
With streamlined workflows across multiple simultaneous users, employees can specialize and become experts in crucial accounting functions.
Mistakes are reduced with separate sets of eyes on key accounting activities like billing and collections. Reviews have also become more accessible.
For each employee’s user role, access can be restricted to only certain areas of QuickBooks, like A/R or A/P.
Because multi-users utilize networked company files, remote employees can also access QuickBooks Desktop to collaborate in real time.
Adding additional users to access QuickBooks is easy as your small business grows. Just purchase and assign other license subscriptions.
Auditing and Controls
Every change is tracked to the user who made it. This expands auditing visibility and enhances internal controls.
Who Benefits Most from Multi-User Mode?
Here are the types of small businesses that benefit the most from unlocking QuickBooks multi-user capabilities:
- Growing companies adding more staff that interacts with QuickBooks
- Bookkeeping teams with specialized roles and distributed workflows
- Firms with part-time and remote accounting personnel
- Distributed small businesses with multiple locations needing unified finances
- QuickBooks consultants and accounting firms managing numerous client books
- Any company requiring streamlined collaboration on accounting data
Best Practices for Multi-User Success
Follow these best practices to ensure optimal success with QuickBooks Desktop multi-user:
- Maintain a fast and reliable network connection
- Use hardwired Ethernet connections for maximum performance
- Enable multi-user hosting under Integrated Applications in Preferences
- Install and configure QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the host computer
- Store company files on networked storage or a shared server
- Assign permissions carefully to each user role
- Train employees on ideal multi-user workflows
- Leverage mechanisms like audit trails, closing date warnings, and password protection
- Schedule regular maintenance and backups of company files
- Contact Intuit support if any performance or access issues arise
Is It Time to Upgrade to Multi-User?
Upgrading to QuickBooks Desktop multi-user mode for growing small businesses can unlock the next level of streamlined collaboration, security, and productivity for your accounting workflows.
Carefully evaluate whether seamless real-time company file access could benefit your workflows and employee growth. If so, multi-user advantages will quickly outweigh the added license costs.