If you want to study or immigrate to an English-speaking country, then you must fulfill an important prerequisite which is scoring well on an English language proficiency test. Among the most prolific English language proficiency tests, the TOEFL or Test of English as a Foreign Language is extremely popular and widely accepted in different countries.
The main objective of TOEFL is to evaluate the English language mastery of the candidate using a comprehensive and analytical process that includes speaking, reading, listening, and writing. In this article, we will discuss all the necessary things you need to know about TOEFL and how to prepare for TOEFL?
What is TOEFL?
TOEFL is an English proficiency level exam that gets conducted by the ETS or Educational Testing Service (which is a non-profit organization). The result of this test or exam gets accepted extensively in more than 150 countries worldwide. Also, more than 11,000 academic establishments and universities spread across different regions such as Australia, Europe, Asia, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States accept TOEFL.
Previously, there used to be a total of two types of TOEFL tests: TOEFL PBT and TOEFL iBT. TOEFL PBT used to be a paper-based test and this test was conducted in places where the internet was not available. On the other hand, TOEFL iBT is a computer-based exam that gets conducted with the help of the internet.
From 11th April 2021, the TOEFL applicants can give exams using two different iBT formats i.e., TOEFL iBT home edition and TOEFL iBT computer-based format.
About TOEFL iBT home edition
With the help of the TOEFL iBT home edition, you will be able to appear for the TOEFL exam from your home or your comfort zone. You need to remember the following important details regarding the TOEFL iBT home edition before you start TOEFL exam preparation:
- Except for Iran and Mainland China, all the other countries that accept TOEFL results offer the TOEFL iBT home edition exam.
- The test is available 4 days a week and 24 hours a day. If you have completed your registration, then you can take the examination immediately after 24 hours.
- You can take the TOEFL iBT home edition test from home using your own computer, and the test gets monitored through ProctorU with the help of a human examiner.
If anyone wants to appear for the TOEFL exam, then he/she must fulfill the specific conditions mentioned below:
- The applicant must have passed his/her 10 + 2 qualification exam from an acknowledged Indian board.
- There is no specific age limit for the candidates who want to appear for the TOEFL exam.
How to register for TOEFL
You can register for the TOEFL exam using three different modes. Let us have a look at them below:
One of the most convenient modes of registration is online as the facilities remain open 24*7 but the seats must be booked about 7 days prior to the final date of the examination.
Aspiring applicants have the alternative option of booking slots over a phone call. The official TOEFL phone number for aspirants in India is 91-124-4147700.
Applicants who find it difficult to register through telephonic or online methods can select the in-mail method of registration. This involves a series of simple steps starting from downloading the TOEFL examination form available on the official TOEFL website https://www.ets.org/toefl.
Available TOEFL test centers
A total of 4500 TOEFL-approved examination centers are located across 165 countries. In India, aspirants can request for test centers in 59 cities based on their proximity and convenience.
Some of the most popular test centers are New Delhi, Indore, Kolkata, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Coimbatore, Bengaluru, Ahmedabad, Gurgaon, Gandhinagar, Jabalpur, Allahabad, Hyderabad, Cochin, Madurai, and Mumbai.
- TOEFL is a highly renowned English language proficiency test accepted globally by top colleges and institutions.
- The TOEFL exam assesses a candidate’s analytical and comprehensive abilities.
- The test is divided into four sections, including reading, listening, writing, and speaking, each with a different score range.
- You need to complete your 10+2 qualification from an Indian board-acknowledged school to be eligible to sit for TOEFL.
- There are multiple resources available to prepare for the TOEFL exam that come with sample question papers to help you familiarize yourself with the exam pattern.
Reach out to SIEC for TOEFL Guidance, Coaching and Assistance.