How to Get Success in Sunflower Farming Business In India
From the past decade, there is phenomenal growth in the organic farming business. Most people are now inclined towards the organically grown product which is comparatively cheaper, better in taste and rich in nutrients. They are much healthier due to avoiding the use of chemical fertilizer and pesticides during production. For a person who wants to start a new organic farm business, sunflower farming will be the best choice for a successful business.
In 2016, annual crop production of sunflower was 2.7 billion pounds which valued nearly 470 million. The business involves both oil type seeds and non-oil type seed. Demand for sunflower oil has rapidly increased as food processors search for a source of trans-fat-free vegetable oil. In 2006, Frito Lay, the country’s largest snack food producer, switched entirely to sunflower oil for its potato chips. Sunflower oil was widely used in India for various purposes because of their various health benefits.
Today, let’s discuss sunflower seed production and how it is a successful business plan in India. So without wasting any minute, let’s dig into it,
Sunflower Seed Production in India:
Sunflowers are short season crops which allow them to grow over a wider range of latitude compared to other oilseed crops in India. Sunflower’s growing season started from June through September, around 90 days. Karnataka is the major sunflower production state. The annual crop production is around 3.04 lakh tones from 7.94 lakh hectares followed by Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar and Orissa.
In India, 1.48 M Ha area with an average yield of 0.6 MT/acre land is occupied by Sunflower Cultivation. Sunflower production also leads to several weather risks as about 80% of the land is under rain-fed production. 900 kg/ha is the average productivity at all India levels. Climatic conditions and irrigation are critical factors for high yields.
Kubota Tractors offers the best quality of harvesters for Sunflower Harvesting efficiently. Sunflowers thrive in the northern area and southern double cropping system. Crop rotation also influences the decision to plant the sunflower. Sunflowers have deep roots that allow them to flourish in the rotation that maximizes the water use from the soil.
Why do Indian farmers plant Sunflower?
There are a ton of benefits to plant sunflowers. They are as follows,
- In oilseed production, Sunflower is a highly profitable crop.
- Sunflowers take a concise duration (80-115 days) to grow.
- This is also suitable to grow in Rainfed condition
- Sunflowers can grow in diverse agro-climatic and soil conditions.
- Sunflower oil is considered a premium often compared to other vegetable oil.
- Being a commercial cash crop, sunflower offers an attractive price for the producer.
- Although there is less risk of pests or diseases on sunflowers, it is easily manageable with timely prevention.
Ideal Soil For Sunflower Farming in India:
Sunflower can grow on a wide range of soils and tolerates a moderate pH range and salinity in water. It thrives excellently on the deep loam soils with good drainage and irrigation facilities. The optimum range of pH for this crop is 6.5 to 8.5.
Quality of soil is primarily important for sunflower production. Sunflowers are best adapted to moderate to well-drained soil types such as loamy and sandy soil. Although, they can be grown in other soil types as well rates less yield. They can’t tolerate prolonged wet conditions and should not be planted in low-lying flood-prone sites.
Health benefit of Sunflower Seed Oil:
Sunflower oil is widely used due to its high nutritious value. Here are some of the benefits of sunflower oil that you should be aware of,
- Sunflower oil contains many phytochemicals such as choline and phenolic acid, which promotes heart health. It’s naturally free from trans fats, which leads to the risk of heart diseases.
- Sunflower oil is enriched with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats which provides a good amount of energy.
- Research shows that adding sunflower oil in the diet can effectively lower our body cholesterol level. It also helps in building Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.
- This oil is extremely light, easy to digest and acts as a mild laxative, which can help with constipation.
- Its antioxidant properties also strengthen the immune system.
Sunflower Farming Business Plan:
There are several key points that you should always keep in mind before starting Sunflower Farming Business. These include,
- Fix the area of land where you want to grow sunflowers.
- Fix your sunflower farming budget by calculating the expense of seed, fertilizer, pesticides and labour cost.
- Evaluate the post-harvesting cost storage, bagging and many more.
- Contact the potential buyer of Sunflower Seed in your locality.
I hope you are now much aware of sunflower farming. For more information about Farming and Kubota Tractor models, stay tuned with us.