Microsoft Excel is an important tool that is being used by a lot of business institutions to complete different tasks. There are only a few corporations in this globe which does not use or have never used Excel in their entire work process. So, it seems to be a nightmare when the excel file or spreadsheet won’t open on your device. But, one should not get disheartened as this issue can be easily fixed by applying some solutions. But, before trying any other solution, you should install the latest Office updates via office.com/setup.
In case you cannot use the file even after installing the updates, you may follow the quick yet effective solutions listed below.
Reasons why Excel won’t open
Prior to discussing the ways to fix the issue, one should know the factors that could be responsible for it:
- Your pc might be having some corrupt or failed installation files of Excel
- The shortcut you might have created does not contain the correct link
- Your Office setup needs to be updated
- Your device has some programs that are conflicting with Office or Excel files
- You have opened the same spreadsheet on another device
- An incorrect file extension is being used
These were a few core reasons why Excel won’t open on your device. However, you can fix them by following some quick methods.
Ways to resolve the issue
- Open a new blank spreadsheet
- Select “File” and choose “Open”
- You will see the recently opened files
- Simply double-tap on the problematic file
- If the file fails to load, browse for it
- And, click “Open” > “Open and Repair”
If you haven’t already installed the latest updates of Office on your device, then doing so would help you in getting rid of this issue. For this, navigate to office.com/setup, log in to your account, and get the updates on your device.
Re-install Office setup
This should be your last resort if Excel won’t open even after performing these solutions. From the “Programs” menu on your PC, locate and uninstall Office first and then re-install it from the official website.
Hence, we have seen why you might not be able to use Office tools or programs sometimes. However, if you still face the same issue, you might need to contact Microsoft support or create a new spreadsheet.