Several considerations need to be made if you want to work with a general contractor (GC) or act as one yourself and deal directly with the subcontractors.

Here are some suggestions for what to request of general contractors and subcontractors for New construction homes in Cape Coral:

1- Research

Inquire from trusted friends, family, or coworkers about any builders they have had positive experiences with and those they would not recommend!

Do some homework. Speak with people who work in the construction sector. You might find out who consistently complies with the law in the region from a building inspector. Ask around at your neighborhood lumberyard, big-box home improvement store, or professional center.

2- Bids 

The contractors submitting bids for the task will require your plans, preferences, and budget. Get a written estimate, ideally with prices split down (three distinct estimates are typical). Ask each builder to break down the cost of materials, labor, profit margins, and any other charges so that you may compare bids.

Usually, building materials make up about 40% of the full cost, with the remaining 60% going toward overhead and profit margin. In this manner, you will be able to calculate the savings if, for example, the flooring in the kitchen is changed. Obtain an estimated time frame as well.

3- Payment plan

Make a payment schedule agreement. For larger projects, a timetable often begins with 10% at contract signing, three payments of 25% spaced out across the project’s duration, and a check for the remaining 15% after everything is finished.

4- Contract

Make sure to have each contractor sign a contract outlining all the requirements you will have of them. Make sure you comprehend the deal. The written contract is the main reason for homeowner-contractor disagreements, whether there is one or not, whether it is ignored or drafted poorly. Engage a lawyer to examine it. Every project phase must be described in the contract, including the payment schedule, the materials to be utilized, the start and expected completion dates and the necessity that the general contractor acquires lien releases from all suppliers and subcontractors. If the contractor doesn’t pay his bills, this will protect you.

4.1-List of contract requirements

A good contract for new construction homes in Cape Coral ought to contain the following:

  • Name of the business, address, contact information, builder or contractor’s name, and license number. (Postal boxes are not permitted.)
  • A thorough description of the project
  • The list of goods and materials
  • A declaration that the contractor is responsible for obtaining all required licenses and inspections
  • Beginning and ending dates
  • Building a home in Cape Coral must attest that he is covered by workers’ compensation and liability insurance.
  • A statement stating the contractor will take care of the clean-up.
  • Total cost and the repayment plan

Final thoughts 

Once a general contractor (GC) or several trade subcontractors have been hired, you must stay informed and will need to obtain regular reports from the GC or the individual subcontractors. It is crucial to maintain a precise timeline and monitor the contractors. If you are looking for new construction home builders in Cape Coral, feel free to consult Carney Properties.

Adam Jones is the author of this article. To know more details about New Home Construction in Fort Myers FL please visit our website: