Getting inked is one of the most memorable moments of anyone’s life. However, it is a huge commitment as it is permanent and will stay forever. A tattoo is a body modification in which ink, pigment, or dye is injected into the dermis layer of the skin. Thus, it would be best to take great care of the tattooed area after you get inked.
Taking care of your tattoo is easy and does not require much time or effort; only the initial days after getting inked require more attention. Good Tattoo Aftercare Products are essential for an excellent-looking, crisp, bright, and long-lasting tattoo.
Steps for Tattoo Aftercare
Tattoo aftercare can be confusing, especially when it is your first tattoo. So here are a few tips on caring for a new tattoo and for keeping tattoo skin looking young and healthy.
- Cover it up: Tattoo Aftercare begins in the tattoo parlor as soon as the tattoo completes. The artist will instantly apply a thin layer of tattoo gel or moisturizer and cover the area with Tattoo Protective Film. This covering protects the open skin from bacterial infection, sunlight, and rubbing against the clothing.
Keep the dressing on for at least a few hours to help absorb any excess fluid or ink leaking from the new tattoo.
- The first wash: Only after a few hours can you remove the covering. Take care to wash your hands thoroughly, then gently wash the tattoo with warm water and fragrance-free soap. Pat your tattoo with a soft cloth to keep it dry.
Now you must apply a small amount of alcohol-free moisturizer or tattoo aftercare balm to the tattoo. You can keep the covering off to let your skin breathe.
- Do not touch the fresh tattoo: The initial days after getting a tattoo are crucial as your skin reacts and is still in the healing phase. As it gets dry, it causes irritation and itching. You must resist touching the tattoo or scratching the itch. If unbearable, gently swipe your finger over it with a feather-like touch.
- Apply sunscreen for sun protection: Even once the tattoo heals completely, it still needs primary care, just like your daily skincare routine. You do not need to pay too much attention as it doesn’t itch anymore. However, sun protection is essential as it can fade away your tattoo. Regularly apply sunscreen to protect your tattoo from the sun’s harmful rays.
Tips on Tattoo Care
A tattoo is a lifetime commitment and requires special care to keep it good-looking and bright.
- Always use fragrance-free soap and moisturizer when caring for your tattoo, as harsh chemicals and fragrances can damage your fresh tattoo.
- Use a moisturizer or tattoo aftercare balm that allows your skin to breathe.
- Wash the tattoo gently.
- Apply aftercare moisturizer only when the tattooed area is dry. Trapping of excess moisture under the skin can lead to irritation and heat rash.
- Drink plenty of water to keep the skin hydrated.
- While healing, cover the tattoo with a cloth or bandage whenever it faces the sun.
- Pick at scabs as it causes scar tissue to form.
- Use soaps and moisturizers with any fragrance or harsh chemicals, as chemicals may irritate tattoo wounds.
- Scratch the tattoo, even if it is dry and itchy.
- Swimming before the tattoo has completely healed.
- Use non-cosmetic grade petroleum moisturizers, which can clog the pores.
The critical factors for tattoo care are working with a professional artist and using the best tattoo aftercare products. What can be better than TATWAX’s premium quality and natural tattoo aftercare products? Check out our Tattoo Protective Films, Tattoo Aftercare Balm, stencil gels, and stencil cleaners at tatwax.com. Regular care of tattoos can help prevent infection and thus keep your skin and tattoo preserved for years.