How to improve your English-speaking skills?
Even though it originated in the Land of Shakespeare, the English language is now the one with the highest number of speakers around the world, of which the overwhelming majority are not native English speakers. English has grown to become the de facto language for business and trade, and generally serves as the default link language for people whose native languages are different from each other’s. English is a fairly straightforward language, and its relative ease has made it hugely popular around the world for people wanting to talk to people from other countries. In this blog, we share with you some of our tips on how you can improve your English-speaking skills.
- Speak as much as you can -The more you speak a language, the better you will get at it. Try and speak English with as many people as you practically can, and do not be afraid of making mistakes! This will help you become acquainted with – and thus improve – your vocabulary, pronunciation, and grammar! Practicing more will also give you more confidence.
- Listen keenly Listen closely when you hear someone speaking in English. To improve your listening comprehension of the English language, listen to English songs, news reports in English, and even interviews. Every little bit helps! You could even try imitating the sounds you hear, as this will help you gain mastery over pronunciation and intonation as well as which sounds are to be stressed and which ones are not.
- Watch English-language shows, movies, and documentaries. Watching English-language TV shows, films, and documentaries is possibly the most enjoyable way to learn English. By doing so, you will get exposed to a wide range of words, expressions, and talking styles. Again, try imitating the actors, presenters, and narrators to improve your vocabulary, pronunciation, and grammar.
- Read aloud Practice reading a book, newspaper, or magazine out loud. If you want to, read a short story to your family and friends. Reading aloud is a great way to practice pronouncing a variety of words, and this will also help you to expand your vocabulary while making sure your words sound correct.
- Practice in front of a mirror. By practicing in front of a mirror, you get to see and hear yourself as you speak. Not only will this help you with your facial expressions, body language, and posture, but it will also go a long way in helping you become more confident speaking English.
- Practice tongue twisters. She sells seashells by the seashore. Phrases like these, which are often difficult to pronounce, are called tongue twisters, and they are an excellent way to improve your pronunciation skills.
- Focus on fluency before grammar. Before delving into the complexities of English grammar, try to focus on becoming fluent in English. The more comfortably you are able to speak, the greater the likelihood that you will be understood correctly. You can always learn grammar as you go.
- Have debates and discussions. One of the most enriching ways to get better at English is through the expression and exchange of ideas and viewpoints. Choose a topic and have a discussion in English with a friend or acquaintance. This will help you get better at articulating your thoughts effectively.
English is one of the easiest languages to learn, and speaking is without doubt one of the most enjoyable parts of learning it. Once you get going, there are numerous ways in which you can get better at speaking and, in turn, improve your grammar and vocabulary. So, speak more, interact more, and most importantly, have fun learning English!
You can also join the Oxford School of English, which offers the best English-speaking courses in Delhi. With an expert team of English trainers, state-of-the-art spoken English training material from Cambridge University Press, and smart classes, we make learning English a fun experience.